30 January 2017, 18:01
Moscow Patriarchate defends all-Ukrainian sacred procession organizer after Ukrainian Security Service searches his house
Moscow, January 30, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has called unacceptable attempts by the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) to persecute the Archpriest Victor Zemlianoy, a co-organizer and Western leader of the All-Ukrainian sacred procession.
Last week SBU officers searched the priest's house and those of other clergymen of the Rovno Diocese. The searches, during which SBU officers had reportedly been rude to the priest's wife and three young children, were conducted with procedural irregularities.
"I am convinced that any attempts to put pressure on or intimidate people who have made specific sincere steps towards a genuine national reconciliation, can only emanate from those who wish no good on Ukraine and want the civil conflict to continue," Vladimir Legoyda, head of the Russian Orthodox Church's Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, told journalists in Moscow on Monday.
The All-Ukrainian sacred procession, held in the summer of 2016, "gave millions of Ukrainians hope that overcoming the divisions that have ravaged Ukraine recently is achievable but only on the basis of the Orthodox faith which unites and reconciles people of the most varied political views," Legoyda said.
As for Father Victor, whose house was searched recently, among Ukrainian Orthodox Christians he commands "indisputable respect, regardless of their political beliefs and place of residence," Legoyda said.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00