19 December 2016, 17:39
The Antioch Church criticizes UN of ignoring the future of Syrian monuments and kidnapped bishops
Moscow, December 19, Interfax - The Antioch Orthodox Church official speaks to criticize the UN and UNESCO.
"Today not only our churches are attacked in Syria - the whole old Roman cities are eliminated and even mosques. Who has destroyed the Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo, which is the heritage of the whole world culture? Islamists-radicals did it," the vicar of Patriarch John X bishop Qais of Erzerum said in his interview to the website of the Information and Education Department of the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Why does not the United Nations raise its voice to condemn these people as criminals. Even the UNESCO keeps silence about destruction of cultural sites," he stressed.
The Syrian hierarch also said that future of the kidnapped in 2013 metropolitans of Aleppo Paul and John Ibrahim "is absolutely indifferent to world human rights organizations."
He also told about unusual cases that took place in Syria during the war. Two years ago a shell made a hole in the wall of the Holy Cross Church in Damask during the divine service and stopped before the icon of St. Catherine, "if it had exploded, there would have been thousands victims."
Another incident took place in the renowned Monastery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin. There exists a custom to make a candle in a person's height. Once a man brought such a candle and asked a nun to light it. He gave this candle to her, went down the stairs and suffered a heart attack.
"Nuns tried to light this candle several times, but failed. Suddenly they heard that someone cried that the man needed help. They came up to him, he turned out to be a Muslim. He talked to the nuns and said: "Be careful, there is dynamite in my candle" and died right on the stair near the entry to the nunnery," the hierarch said.
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05
- Chernovtsy and Bukovina Diocese searched, high treason case opened – media 25 November 2022, 18:00
- Russia's State Duma adopts package of bills banning LGBT propaganda 24 November 2022, 15:58
- Marketplaces to be banned from selling goods with LGBT propaganda in Russia 23 November 2022, 16:53
- Ukrainian law enforcement officers find pro-Russian literature when searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church establishments - media 23 November 2022, 13:41
- Bill on banning Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine registered in Verkhovnaya Rada 23 November 2022, 10:34
- Russian Orthodox Church says persecution of monks in Kiev Pechersk Laura Monastery must stop 22 November 2022, 14:21
- Searches at Kiev Lavra of the Caves are yet another link in 'chain of military actions' of Ukraine against Russian Orthodoxy – Peskov 22 November 2022, 13:53
- Ukrainian Security Service looking for saboteurs, weapons at Kiev Lavra of the Caves 22 November 2022, 12:42
- Patriarch Kirill says the fate of the world depends on the future of Russia 21 November 2022, 11:58
- Putin sends birthday greetings to Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2022, 11:54
- Sex change propaganda to be penalized by fine of 50,000 to 1 mln rubles in Russia under amendments approved by Duma committee 21 November 2022, 11:52
- Russian bailiffs forcibly collecting 6-mln-ruble fines from TikTok for LGBT propaganda 17 November 2022, 11:10
- Russia's Patriarch Kirill says ready to speak on western TV 16 November 2022, 18:41
- Putin calls high spiritual and moral guidelines the basis of Russia's identity 15 November 2022, 16:58
- Verkhovnaya Rada deputy initiates transfer of Kiev Lavra of the Caves to Orthodox church of Ukraine 15 November 2022, 16:25
- State Duma may pass bill banning LGBT propaganda next week 14 November 2022, 20:30
- Putin signs decree on foundations of state policy for consolidating traditional Russian values 09 November 2022, 18:46
- Archpriest Mikhail Vasilyev who died in Special Military Operation zone awarded Hero of Russia title 08 November 2022, 22:40
- Patriarch Kirill says the current challenges threaten the very existence of Russia 07 November 2022, 13:27
- FJCR president says no growth of anti-Semitism in Russia 03 November 2022, 15:52