02 December 2016, 18:28
Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world
Baku, December 2, Interfax - Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev expressed concern over confrontation between Muslims in Islamic countries.
"We cannot look on indifferently while Muslims in Muslim countries are destroying each other, while the blood of brothers is shed," Aliyev said at a meeting with the members of the Supreme Religious Council of the Caucasian People, who arrived to attend a conference headlined Traditions of religious tolerance in the Caucasus and the multiculturalism model of Azerbaijan, on Friday.
At the same time he noted that ties between Muslims of the Caucasus are strengthening.
"Azerbaijan and the republics of the North Caucasus are united by strong historical friendship, mutual respect and support. I am glad that today these ties are developing between the republics of the Caucasus at all levels, including between religious leaders. It strengthens the unity of Muslims of the Caucasus and is an example for Muslims all over the world," Aliyev said.
The president said that Azerbaijan is actively working on ensuring solidarity between Muslims across the globe. "We are proud that following Baku Nakhchivan became the second city in Azerbaijan, which was declared the 2018 cultural capital of the Islam world by the ISESCO [Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization]," he said.
Aliyev also expressed gratitude to the Muslim world for support of Baku's stance on the Karabakh conflict settlement. "Muslims of the entire world condemned April's aggression by Armenians and formed a contact group on the settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict," Azerbaijani president said.
A ceasefire between Armenia and the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic on the one hand and Azerbaijan on the other was established in May 1994.
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59
- Russian Orthodox Church offered to imprison rapists for life 05 October 2020, 14:05
- Russian Church suggests opening a museum dedicated to repressions in the mausoleum after Lenin's funeral 05 October 2020, 11:57
- Kremlin views possible detention of men using surrogate mother services as high-profile case 02 October 2020, 12:26
- Two people who stole an icon presented by Putin detained by FSB 01 October 2020, 13:34
- Patriarch asks the State Duma speaker to broadly discuss amendments on the removal of children from the family 01 October 2020, 13:02