10 August 2016, 14:16
Jewish community of Russia urges to exclude Lebanon team from participation in the Olympic Games
Moscow, August 10, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is outraged with the behavior of the Lebanese athletes in the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and urges the International Olympic Committee to take tough measures.
"Unfortunately, disgusting manifestation of anti-Semitism darkened the Olympic backgrounds, which have already been excessively politicized. There should be competition among sport teams, but it should never extend to the insults on national grounds. The latest developments have undermined the very spirit of the Olympics and contradict the peaceful idea of the Olympic Games," head of the FJCR public relations Boruch Gorin said in his statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the incident, which took place during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Athletes from Lebanon and Israel in compliance with the schedule set up by the Games organizers should share the bus for going to the Maracana stadium. However, Lebanon athletes did not allow the Israel team to border the bus. The latter had to change the bus.
"There is a common saying that sport and more over the Olympic Games are out of politics. Unfortunately, we see that this principle is toughly violated. This situation is from the kind of the anti-Semitic incidents which have already happened at the international competitions where Israeli and Arab athletes participated. It is an alarming symptom when the atmosphere of hatred penetrates the Olympics," Gorin said.
It is not clear for him why the International Olympic Committee reacted to the incident with a reprimand only.
"I think that in cases of such aggressive xenophobia they should speak about exclusion of the team from further participation in the Games. We urge the IOC to react in such a way that will give others a lesson for the future so that no one will ever wish to behave like this," the FJCR spokesman stressed.
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11
- Ukraine's border service comments on denial of entry to rector of Moscow Theological Academy 08 November 2018, 16:09
- Poroshenko ignored millions of Ukrainians in statement on Russian Orthodox Church's place - Moscow Patriarchate 08 November 2018, 14:58
- Moscow Theological Academy rector barred from Ukraine 08 November 2018, 11:10