10 August 2016, 14:16
Jewish community of Russia urges to exclude Lebanon team from participation in the Olympic Games
Moscow, August 10, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is outraged with the behavior of the Lebanese athletes in the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and urges the International Olympic Committee to take tough measures.
"Unfortunately, disgusting manifestation of anti-Semitism darkened the Olympic backgrounds, which have already been excessively politicized. There should be competition among sport teams, but it should never extend to the insults on national grounds. The latest developments have undermined the very spirit of the Olympics and contradict the peaceful idea of the Olympic Games," head of the FJCR public relations Boruch Gorin said in his statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the incident, which took place during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Athletes from Lebanon and Israel in compliance with the schedule set up by the Games organizers should share the bus for going to the Maracana stadium. However, Lebanon athletes did not allow the Israel team to border the bus. The latter had to change the bus.
"There is a common saying that sport and more over the Olympic Games are out of politics. Unfortunately, we see that this principle is toughly violated. This situation is from the kind of the anti-Semitic incidents which have already happened at the international competitions where Israeli and Arab athletes participated. It is an alarming symptom when the atmosphere of hatred penetrates the Olympics," Gorin said.
It is not clear for him why the International Olympic Committee reacted to the incident with a reprimand only.
"I think that in cases of such aggressive xenophobia they should speak about exclusion of the team from further participation in the Games. We urge the IOC to react in such a way that will give others a lesson for the future so that no one will ever wish to behave like this," the FJCR spokesman stressed.
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00