10 August 2016, 14:16
Jewish community of Russia urges to exclude Lebanon team from participation in the Olympic Games
Moscow, August 10, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is outraged with the behavior of the Lebanese athletes in the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and urges the International Olympic Committee to take tough measures.
"Unfortunately, disgusting manifestation of anti-Semitism darkened the Olympic backgrounds, which have already been excessively politicized. There should be competition among sport teams, but it should never extend to the insults on national grounds. The latest developments have undermined the very spirit of the Olympics and contradict the peaceful idea of the Olympic Games," head of the FJCR public relations Boruch Gorin said in his statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the incident, which took place during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Athletes from Lebanon and Israel in compliance with the schedule set up by the Games organizers should share the bus for going to the Maracana stadium. However, Lebanon athletes did not allow the Israel team to border the bus. The latter had to change the bus.
"There is a common saying that sport and more over the Olympic Games are out of politics. Unfortunately, we see that this principle is toughly violated. This situation is from the kind of the anti-Semitic incidents which have already happened at the international competitions where Israeli and Arab athletes participated. It is an alarming symptom when the atmosphere of hatred penetrates the Olympics," Gorin said.
It is not clear for him why the International Olympic Committee reacted to the incident with a reprimand only.
"I think that in cases of such aggressive xenophobia they should speak about exclusion of the team from further participation in the Games. We urge the IOC to react in such a way that will give others a lesson for the future so that no one will ever wish to behave like this," the FJCR spokesman stressed.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03