21 June 2016, 14:20
Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated)
St. Petersburg, June 21, Interfax - Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) confirmed that its officials have conducted a number of searches in Moscow, St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region as part of the investigation of the case of illegal business activities of the Church of Scientology.
"As part of the investigation of this case the FSB officials conducted simultaneous searches at 14 premises in Moscow, St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region in offices, financial institution and housing of alleged participants in illegal activity," the press service of the department of the Russian Federal Security Service for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region said.
During the searches law enforcement officials seized items and documents proving the version of sales of goods and services provided by the organizers of the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg in violation of statutory norms and indicating the inter-regional nature of these illegal activities, the department said.
Investigative measures continue to be conducted.
For his part, Konstantin Serov, the head of the Nevsky district administration, in the territory of which the searches have been conducted at Babushkin Street, told Interfax that local residents complained about scientologists. "Local residents filed complaints; a criminal case has been opened. Today's operative measures of law enforcement officials have been a result of both these complaints and the criminal case. The information about illegal business activities, including property fraud, has been proven true," he said.
If a court declares the scientologists' activities illegal, the organization will be evicted from the premises, Serov said. "If it is proven that they conducted criminal activity, the district administration will take any effort for this organization to be closed and their activities there to be ceased," he said.
A criminal case has been opened under the Article 'illegal entrepreneurship' on the grounds of the carrying out of business activities without registration associated with derivation of revenues in an especially large amount.
It was reported earlier with reference to a source that a number of officials of the Church of Scientology have been brought for questioning to law enforcement agencies in St. Petersburg, and their procedural status will be established following interviews. The source said that the individuals in question are not members of the congregation, whose number reached several hundred at the beginning of the search of the site at 3 Babushkin Street.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06