16 September 2015, 10:07
Moscow Patriarchate hopes caricature of dead Syrian boy not to remain without consequences for Charlie Hebdo
Moscow, September 16, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has expressed hope that the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo will be held to account for publishing a caricature of a dead Syrian boy.
"The earthly life of a human being is not the highest but rather [the most] important value. People who showed extreme disrespect for religious shrines are now also trampling on this value by portraying a human tragedy in an extremely disrespectful way," Russian Orthodox Church spokesman Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion.
"I would like to repeat once again: there are things which cannot be mocked, and I can understand the people who are now suing this magazine and express their outrage," the priest said.
He blamed western elites for the tragedy of hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing Syria and other Middle Eastern countries. He recalled a recent remark by Stavropol mufti Muhammad Rakhimov who said that the countries which followed the U.S. lead are now being rewarded with an uncontrollable wave of migrants. "Well, it is their fault," said Father Vsevolod, who is convinced that the moral responsibility for what is going on lies precisely with the politicians and public figures who wrecked peace in many Middle Eastern countries.
"Now half of Europe is paying for that. I think the United States too will pay in one form or another because the injustice will inevitably hit those who perpetrated it," the priest said.
"Those who mocked the death of a child to please the European elites have demonstrated their total wickedness and double standard," the cleric said, noting that "when someone in France drew a caricature of the slain Charlie Hebdo staff, they were harshly prosecuted, which was probably the right thing to do."
"But what happens after the publication of the caricature of the drowned child is a big question. I hope justice will be done and public groups dominating the West will part with their usual notion that the life of an elitist caricaturist is more important than that of a native of the Middle East," the church spokesperson said.
- Another Jehovah's Witness put under house arrest instead of detention 30 November 2020, 12:42
- Russian court refuses to arrest 3 Jehovah's Witnesses accused of setting up extremist organization 27 November 2020, 18:41
- Press secretary of Belarusian Orthodox Church who condemned dismantling memorial to late activist Bondarenko in Minsk resigns 27 November 2020, 15:31
- Courts extends detention of 3 managers of Jehovah's Witnesses Administrative Center in Russia, all charged with setting up extremist organization 26 November 2020, 20:11
- Amendments to Russian Family Code affirming supremacy of Constitution, 'moral fundamentals' over int'l law pass 1st reading in State Duma 26 November 2020, 16:08
- Jehovah's Witnesses Detained in Russia charged with setting up extremist organization, Investigative Committee requests their arrest - court 26 November 2020, 16:06
- Rabbi Lazar rejected accusations of Jewish communities in irresponsible attitude to the pandemic 26 November 2020, 15:19
- Russian expert sees danger in Turkey's aspiration to become Islamic world leader 26 November 2020, 14:53
- Rostov-on-Don court sentences leader of Aum Shinrikyo, banned in Russia, to 15 years in high-security penitentiary 26 November 2020, 13:24
- Lawyers appeal extension of custody for Church of Last Testament founder, 2 other defendants 25 November 2020, 20:09
- Russian Orthodox Church appreciates Cypriot bishops who refuse to recognize new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 18:45
- Church of Cyprus's Synod supports recognition of new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 16:03
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities still banned in Russia - Peskov 25 November 2020, 12:51
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21