16 September 2015, 10:07
Moscow Patriarchate hopes caricature of dead Syrian boy not to remain without consequences for Charlie Hebdo
Moscow, September 16, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has expressed hope that the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo will be held to account for publishing a caricature of a dead Syrian boy.
"The earthly life of a human being is not the highest but rather [the most] important value. People who showed extreme disrespect for religious shrines are now also trampling on this value by portraying a human tragedy in an extremely disrespectful way," Russian Orthodox Church spokesman Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion.
"I would like to repeat once again: there are things which cannot be mocked, and I can understand the people who are now suing this magazine and express their outrage," the priest said.
He blamed western elites for the tragedy of hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing Syria and other Middle Eastern countries. He recalled a recent remark by Stavropol mufti Muhammad Rakhimov who said that the countries which followed the U.S. lead are now being rewarded with an uncontrollable wave of migrants. "Well, it is their fault," said Father Vsevolod, who is convinced that the moral responsibility for what is going on lies precisely with the politicians and public figures who wrecked peace in many Middle Eastern countries.
"Now half of Europe is paying for that. I think the United States too will pay in one form or another because the injustice will inevitably hit those who perpetrated it," the priest said.
"Those who mocked the death of a child to please the European elites have demonstrated their total wickedness and double standard," the cleric said, noting that "when someone in France drew a caricature of the slain Charlie Hebdo staff, they were harshly prosecuted, which was probably the right thing to do."
"But what happens after the publication of the caricature of the drowned child is a big question. I hope justice will be done and public groups dominating the West will part with their usual notion that the life of an elitist caricaturist is more important than that of a native of the Middle East," the church spokesperson said.
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04
- Christ the Savior Cathedral receives fourth bomb threat in Dec 11 December 2019, 19:02
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev detained again - human rights activists 11 December 2019, 10:12
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East 11 December 2019, 10:10
- Ukraine's canonical Church adds 250 parishes in first year of OCU existence 11 December 2019, 10:08
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07