16 September 2015, 10:07
Moscow Patriarchate hopes caricature of dead Syrian boy not to remain without consequences for Charlie Hebdo
Moscow, September 16, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has expressed hope that the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo will be held to account for publishing a caricature of a dead Syrian boy.
"The earthly life of a human being is not the highest but rather [the most] important value. People who showed extreme disrespect for religious shrines are now also trampling on this value by portraying a human tragedy in an extremely disrespectful way," Russian Orthodox Church spokesman Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion.
"I would like to repeat once again: there are things which cannot be mocked, and I can understand the people who are now suing this magazine and express their outrage," the priest said.
He blamed western elites for the tragedy of hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing Syria and other Middle Eastern countries. He recalled a recent remark by Stavropol mufti Muhammad Rakhimov who said that the countries which followed the U.S. lead are now being rewarded with an uncontrollable wave of migrants. "Well, it is their fault," said Father Vsevolod, who is convinced that the moral responsibility for what is going on lies precisely with the politicians and public figures who wrecked peace in many Middle Eastern countries.
"Now half of Europe is paying for that. I think the United States too will pay in one form or another because the injustice will inevitably hit those who perpetrated it," the priest said.
"Those who mocked the death of a child to please the European elites have demonstrated their total wickedness and double standard," the cleric said, noting that "when someone in France drew a caricature of the slain Charlie Hebdo staff, they were harshly prosecuted, which was probably the right thing to do."
"But what happens after the publication of the caricature of the drowned child is a big question. I hope justice will be done and public groups dominating the West will part with their usual notion that the life of an elitist caricaturist is more important than that of a native of the Middle East," the church spokesperson said.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13