04 August 2015, 10:08
Gay activist faces trial in kilt in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, August 4, Interfax - The St. Petersburg Petrogradsky District Court on August 5 will try a case involving Yury Gavrikov, chairman of the public organization Ravnopraviye (which translates as "Equal Rights"), who was detained for his intention to hold an unauthorized rally in support of sexual minorities on the Airborne Forces Day.
Gavrikov told Interfax that he is charged with petty hooliganism (an offense enshrined by Part 1 of Article 20.1 of the Russian Code of Administrative Violations) for swearing at the police.
"Today's meeting is now over. There is no decision yet, the next hearing is scheduled for August 5 because several motions have been presented," he said.
At the moment of his detention on August 2, the activist was heading to a rally in support of sexual minorities dressed in a kilt, knee high socks and a white shirt. He was taken to a police station, where he spent the night. The judge was not embarrassed by the kilt, Gavrikov said.
"The kilt is cute: it's plaid green. The police and the court did not say anything about it. Moreover, after the hearing I managed to wear it to Nevsky [Prospekt] and the Palace Square," he said.
The man said he intends to wear the same clothes to the August 5 court hearing.
Gavrikov was detained near his residence on August 2 as he was heading to an unauthorized rally in support of sexual minorities. He earlier publicly said he intended to hold a one-man picket on the Palace Square. An administrative protocol was made against the activist, who was accused of petty hooliganism. Gavrikov remained in the police station until the court hearing.
On the same day, three LGBT activists were detained during one-man pickets on the Palace Square. The activist were later released. No protocols were made against them.
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22