16 June 2015, 10:03
Pope's idea of single Easter date for Christians "unrealistic" - Protodeacon Kurayev
Moscow, June 16, Interfax - Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev, the famous Russian theologian, has described as "prospectless" a recent proposal by Pope Francis to introduce a single Easter date for all Christian denominations.
"The Pope's proposal to designate a single all-Christian Easter day is unrealistic," Father Andrey wrote on his blog.
In his view, the presence of the different festive dates "is nothing dangerous to the Christianity." The motives behind fourth-century Church's insistence on unity over the Easter issue are no longer relevant: "no one mistakes us for the Jews," he said.
"For the Catholics, the Pope's decision is self-sufficient, whereas the Orthodox Christians are still tied by their tradition, or to be more precise, the decision of the First Ecumenical Council. And if the question as to what exactly should be considered the vernal equinox day lies in the interpretation of the nevertheless recognized Council decision, establishing a fixed Easter day (the third Sunday of April) clearly runs counter against it," the protodeacon wrote.
A similar proposal for all Christians to celebrate Easter on the same day was made previously by Pope John Paul II but the idea was then dropped. A similar proposal was made by the Second Vatican Council in 1965, when Christians were offered to celebrate their main holiday on the second Sunday of April.
The difference in Easter dates stems from the different spring equinox days in Julian and Gregorian Calendars used, respectively, by Eastern and Western Christians, and from the Catholics' refusal from the rule of mismatch between the Christian Easter and the Jewish one (Passover).
In 1948, the Moscow conference of Orthodox churches decided that dates for the Easter and all movable feasts should be set according to Julian Calendar, and for non-movable ones, according to the calendar used by a local Church. Only the Finnish Orthodox Church celebrates Easter according to Gregorian Calendar.
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57