20 October 2014, 10:04
Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine
Moscow, October 20, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, has discussed the situation in Ukraine with Pope Francis in the Vatican.
"The head of the Department for External Church Relations shared with the pontiff his deep concerns about the involvement of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church in the political conflict on the side of the forces that are hostile to the Russian Orthodox Church, expressing the hopes that the Greek-Catholics will reconsider their position and will stop making one-sided politicized statements and will stop supporting the schism," the press service for the DECR reported.
The metropolitan also told the pope about the situation in eastern Ukraine, where three clergymen have been killed and some fifty churches have been partially or fully destroyed.
In his recent speech at the General Assembly of the Synod of Catholic Bishops in the Vatican, Metropolitan Hilarion asked the Greek-Catholics to stop "making any statements on political issues and any visible forms of sporting the schism, and also stop calling for the creation of 'a unified local Church of Ukraine.'"
"Unfortunately, the conflict in this country, on which thousands of people have been killed, acquired a religious dimension from the very start. The Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church played a significant role in its development. From the first days of the conflict, the Greek-Catholics took the side of one of the conflict parties. Despite the respect for the canonical norms accepted between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, the Greek-Catholics started active interaction with the schismatics," the metropolitan said.
The Uniates, or Greek-Catholics, are part of the Roman Catholic Church, but they conduct their church services according to the Byzantine rite, which is similar to the Orthodox rite. The Uniates' positions are especially strong in Western Ukraine, where a number of serious conflicts between the Uniates and Orthodox Christians took place in the 1990s.
The tensions in the relations between Orthodox Christians and Uniates in Ukraine is one of the reasons that has prevented a meeting between the head of the Russian Orthodox Church and the pope for many years.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55