15 May 2014, 12:02
Sexual minorities say Moscow authorities banned "bearded march" named after Conchita Wurst
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - Gay activists said the Moscow mayor's office has banned them from conducting a march marking the anniversary of the decriminalization homosexuality in Russia on May 27.
"On Thursday, the Moscow mayor's office refused to authorize a 'march of bearded women and men named after Conchita Wurst,' which Moscow gay pride parade activists planned to conduct on May 27, the day of the 21st anniversary of the decriminalization of consenting homosexual relations in Russia," GayRussia.ru reported.
According to the LGBT community, Nikolay Alexeyev, the founder of the Moscow gay pride parade movement, said the Moscow authorities' decision "will be promptly contested in court so that we can get a court verdict before the date of the planned event."
Alexeyev said the Moscow mayor's office will be notified of the plans to hold a traditional annual march of the Moscow gay pride parade, which is scheduled for May 31.
"If the authorities decline to authorize that event as well, like they have done for the past eight years, we will combine the bearded march named after Conchita Wurst and the gay pride parade and hold them on May 31," he said.
Vasily Oleinik, deputy head of the Moscow regional security department, said the request for the authorization of the march is still being considered.
"I don't have any other information yet," he said.
According to earlier reports, sexual minorities have notified the Moscow mayor's office of their plans to conduct a march in Moscow's Tverskoy Boulevard to march the 21st anniversary of the decriminalization of consenting homosexual relations in Russia on May 27. According to the reports, the event will have up to 100 participants. The event is named "March of Bearded Women and Men Named after Conchita Wurst."
The Eurovision Song Contest 2014 took place in Copenhagen, Denmark, on May 6-10. It was won by "bearded woman Conchita Wurst (transvestite Thomas Neuwirth).
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23