02 April 2014, 16:48
Gay activists prevented from meeting in Osh
Osh, April 2, Interfax - A Kyrgyz youth organization called Ak Kyzmat (Pure Service) has asked gay activists to leave the southern Kyrgyz capital.
"Having learned from social networking sites about the planned event, the young activists from the city of Osh gathered at Osh Huru (Osh Ray) Hotel and disrupted the discussion on Wednesday of the protection of the rights of people with non-traditional sexual orientation," Ak Kyzmat leader Sonunbek Zhunusbayev told Interfax.
About 200 young activists entered a hotel where the meeting was taking place and asked the attendees to leave the building, he said.
"The worldview of the Kyrgyz people has always held family and traditional values in high esteem. This does not fit into the moral upbringing of our young people," Zhunusbayev said.
The police arrived at the hotel and allowed the attendees to leave the building without incidents, he said.
However, its organizers tried to meet up again later on Wednesday, this time at the office of a local nongovernmental organization. After that the activists had to ask them more persistently to leave the city. "We warned them that if they show up once again, it will be worse because the young people of Osh won't let this happen," the youth organization leader said.
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22