25 July 2013, 17:38
Putin concerned about violation of rights of Orthodox Christians in Mideast, N. Africa (updated)
Moscow, July 25, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed his concerns about what he sees as infringement on the rights of religious minorities, particularly Orthodox Christians, in the conflicts in the Middle East and Northern Africa.
"I must note with alarm and pain that interdenominational tensions are growing and the rights of religious minorities, among them Christians, including Orthodox Christians, are infringed on in many regions of the world, especially in the Middle East and Northern Africa," Putin said at a meeting with the primates and representatives of local Orthodox Churches in Moscow on Thursday.
"This pressing problem should be a subject of close attention for the entire international community," Putin said.
"It is especially important today to make efforts to prevent intercultural and interreligious conflicts, which are fraught with the most serious upheavals," he said.
"Russia, with its immense experience in arranging and maintaining interfaith peace and accord, is ready to share it," the president said.
Russia "will continue to pursue an active creative policy aimed at resolving conflict situations diplomatically as quickly as possible, and it attaches great significance in these efforts to the normalization of productive interreligious and intercultural cooperation," he said.
Putin also suggested that relations between the state and the church in Russia are developing at a new level. "We act as true partners and co-workers in addressing the most pressing domestic and international challenges," Putin said, adding that "active efforts and support of local Orthodox Churches are very important" for the government.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28