25 July 2013, 17:38
Putin concerned about violation of rights of Orthodox Christians in Mideast, N. Africa (updated)
Moscow, July 25, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed his concerns about what he sees as infringement on the rights of religious minorities, particularly Orthodox Christians, in the conflicts in the Middle East and Northern Africa.
"I must note with alarm and pain that interdenominational tensions are growing and the rights of religious minorities, among them Christians, including Orthodox Christians, are infringed on in many regions of the world, especially in the Middle East and Northern Africa," Putin said at a meeting with the primates and representatives of local Orthodox Churches in Moscow on Thursday.
"This pressing problem should be a subject of close attention for the entire international community," Putin said.
"It is especially important today to make efforts to prevent intercultural and interreligious conflicts, which are fraught with the most serious upheavals," he said.
"Russia, with its immense experience in arranging and maintaining interfaith peace and accord, is ready to share it," the president said.
Russia "will continue to pursue an active creative policy aimed at resolving conflict situations diplomatically as quickly as possible, and it attaches great significance in these efforts to the normalization of productive interreligious and intercultural cooperation," he said.
Putin also suggested that relations between the state and the church in Russia are developing at a new level. "We act as true partners and co-workers in addressing the most pressing domestic and international challenges," Putin said, adding that "active efforts and support of local Orthodox Churches are very important" for the government.
- Islamist recruiter stands trial in Uzbekistan 28 November 2014, 12:48
- Cossacks to help Moscow police maintain public order in recreation zones, in areas around churches and monasteries 28 November 2014, 10:02
- Kyrgyz extremists use hijab issue to drive wedge between government, Muslims - intelligence agency 28 November 2014, 10:00
- DPR official speaks about 62 churches destroyed 27 November 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Kliment believes high speed is disadvantage of the Internet 27 November 2014, 14:59
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54