25 July 2013, 17:38
Putin concerned about violation of rights of Orthodox Christians in Mideast, N. Africa (updated)
Moscow, July 25, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed his concerns about what he sees as infringement on the rights of religious minorities, particularly Orthodox Christians, in the conflicts in the Middle East and Northern Africa.
"I must note with alarm and pain that interdenominational tensions are growing and the rights of religious minorities, among them Christians, including Orthodox Christians, are infringed on in many regions of the world, especially in the Middle East and Northern Africa," Putin said at a meeting with the primates and representatives of local Orthodox Churches in Moscow on Thursday.
"This pressing problem should be a subject of close attention for the entire international community," Putin said.
"It is especially important today to make efforts to prevent intercultural and interreligious conflicts, which are fraught with the most serious upheavals," he said.
"Russia, with its immense experience in arranging and maintaining interfaith peace and accord, is ready to share it," the president said.
Russia "will continue to pursue an active creative policy aimed at resolving conflict situations diplomatically as quickly as possible, and it attaches great significance in these efforts to the normalization of productive interreligious and intercultural cooperation," he said.
Putin also suggested that relations between the state and the church in Russia are developing at a new level. "We act as true partners and co-workers in addressing the most pressing domestic and international challenges," Putin said, adding that "active efforts and support of local Orthodox Churches are very important" for the government.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00