01 July 2013, 10:01
Orthodox rally in Moscow condemns Scientologists
Moscow, July 1, Interfax - An Orthodox Christian rally on Saturday that brought together about 200 people condemned the allegedly proselytizing activities of Moscow's Scientologist community and demanded the construction of numerous Orthodox churches in the city.
Indignation was expressed at the rally, held on 1905 Square in central Moscow, with the fact that the "totalitarian sect" occupies a large former mansion not far from the Pokrovsky Convent in the city's historic Taganka area and is "intensively trying to recruit people who come [to the convent] to venerate the relics of St. Matrona."
"In the 21st century, wars are fought with information and Web methods, totalitarian sects are used intensively, and so anyone who cares about the survival of Russia must join the body of the Russian Orthodox Church," said one of the rally organizers, Valentin Lebedev, leader of the Orthodox Citizens Union.
The leader of the Forty Times Forty group, Andrei Kormukhin, demanded a ban on Scientologist activities in Moscow, especially near an Orthodox place of worship.
"In what is in effect a city of 15 million, we need 1,600 new churches - 'forty times forty,' - and very soon as well, as at least minimal compensation for the damage done to the church by the theomachists," he said.
The meeting issued an appeal to the mayor and the head of the city legislature to take measures to prevent "sects" from activities that may exercise any influence on secondary and primary schools and to help governmental agencies whose duties include control of Scientologist and "other destructive religious organizations."
The reason for the rally was a ruling by the Gagarinsky District Court late in May that upheld the Justice Ministry's grievances against the Scientologist Church of Moscow and the Management Center for the Dissemination of Dianetics and Scientology.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06