22 May 2013, 15:42
CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes
Strasbourg, May 22, Interfax - Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe (CoE) Nils Muiznieks said he urged the Georgian authorities to not allow the reoccurrence of the May 17 events, when a group of activists defending sexual minorities' rights was attacked in central Tbilisi by thousands of their opponents.
"The violence that burst out on Tbilisi streets on International Day Against Homophobia showed that the government has not taken necessary measures to ensure the safety of participants of the rally in support of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community," Muiznieks said in a statement on Wednesday.
Muiznieks said that it was a positive step that the Georgian authorities, including Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili, condemned the violence and promised to punish those guilty of attacking rally participants.
"The Georgian authorities have to suppress and respond to any future threats against LGBT community members, to investigate immediately and to hold liable instigators and executors of violent acts as well," Muiznieks said.
"The absence of such steps would send a false signal to those inciting hatred toward sexual minorities that their actions will remain unpunished," the statement said.
The commissioner said he urged the Georgian authorities to take decisive steps to eliminate discrimination against sexual minorities.
"Political leaders and civil society leaders are responsible for achieving this goal," Muiznieks said.
Large-scale clashes between participants of a rally to support sexual minorities and their opponents took place in central Tbilisi on May 17. The rally, organized by the Identity non-governmental organization to celebrate International Day Against Homophobia, was ruined by the rally opponents. A total of 28 people, including police officers and a reporter, were injured in the clashes.
Ivanishvili later thanked police who "acted courageously to protect sexual minorities and managed to take them away from raging crowd."
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22