17 May 2013, 16:55
LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents
St. Petersburg, May 17, Interfax - Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rally on the Field of Mars in St. Petersburg on Friday drew far more opponents than supporters.
The Main Department of the Interior Ministry on St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region told Interfax that around 60 gay parade supporters and about 200 opponents participated in the rally.
Three people were detained for disturbances attempts, the department said.
It has been reported that security for the LGBT rally on the Field of Mars had been tightened. People gathered on the Field of Mars on enclosed area, which was surrounded by police. The rally lasted around 30 minutes. The LGBT rally participants held multicolor balloons and chanted slogans.
After the rally finished, the LGBT activists boarded buses brought there and left the scene.
The rally was held amid large presence of nationalist organizations, which were against the rally and chanted their own slogans.
Vitaly Milonov, deputy of the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly and author of the law banning propaganda of homosexuality among children, came to the Field of Mars. Milonov said he came to express his protest against the rally.
The rally was generally uneventful.
The LGBT rally organizers have informed St. Petersburg authorities that they intended to hold a rally in a "Hyde Park" on the Field of Mars. The event can be held if it does not violate the existing law, the St. Petersburg committee on law, order and security told Interfax. In particular, only up to 200 people can participate in the rally and participants' actions should not violate the law banning propaganda of homosexuality and pedophilia among children.
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21