26 April 2013, 17:36
Russia should amend adoption deal with France in light of legalization of same-sex marriages - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, April 26, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin believes adoption agreements with other countries should be amended if these countries amend national laws in a way that this goes against Russian law.
Kaliningrad regional Legislative Assembly Chair Marina Orgiyeva suggested earlier that Russia should think about amending the Russian-French adoption agreement in light of the enactment of legislation legalizing same-sex marriages in France so that Russian children could not be adopted by same-sex French families.
"She is right," Putin said. "We should respond to what happens around us. We respect our partners but ask them to respect Russia's cultural traditions and its ethical, legislative and moral norms. I believe we have the right to make amendments to such documents. The issue is important, and we should think about it," he said.
Russia and France signed an agreement on cooperation in inter-country adoptions in November 2011. Putin ratified the document in July 2012.
The French National Assembly passed a bill allowing homosexual couples to marry and adopt children in a 331-225 vote on April 23. For the legislation to take effect, it has to be signed by President Francois Hollande, who promised to legalize same-sex marriages during his election campaign. The French opposition warned that it would go to the Constitutional Council to have the legislation rescinded.
The bill caused a number of major protests throughout France, in which both supporters and opponents of legalization of same-sex marriages took part. France has seen some outbreaks of homophobia in the past several weeks, and some lawmakers received letters with threats.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23