12 March 2013, 15:51
80% of Russians oppose same-sex marriages, gay pride parades - poll
Moscow, March 12, Interfax - Homophobia is rather widely spread in Russian society and hard feelings have grown over the past eight years, the Levada Center told Interfax.
Some 85% of Russians polled in February opposed same-sex marriages and 87% objected to gay pride parades. The number of same-sex marriage supporters is down from 14% to 5% in the past three years, and the number of people who do not mind gay pride parades remains at 6%.
Only 23% of Russians are tolerant to homosexuality and tend to understand problems of such people; they say gays and lesbians should be left alone. Twenty-seven percent believe homosexuals need psychological aid, 16% propose isolating them from the rest of society, 22% insist on compulsory therapy and 5% on their "liquidation."
Homophobia has grown in Russian society over the past eight years. The number of respondents suggesting that gays and lesbians should be left alone is 7% down, the number of respondents insisting on therapy is 5% and the number of respondents insisting on their isolation is 4% up.
Fifty percent of the respondents asked about their personal attitude toward gays and lesbians said they were irritated and disgusted, 18% were cautious, 23% were "calm and unemotional" and 4% had positive feelings.
Eighty percent of 1,600 respondents polled in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions opposed the right of same-sex couples to adopt children, 5% had no objections and 15% were hesitant.
Some 89% admitted they were not acquainted with gays or lesbians and only 6% acknowledged such acquaintances. Sixty-one percent said they would be profoundly upset if their children or grandchildren had fallen victim to homosexuality propaganda.
Russia does not have a federal law banning homosexuality propaganda amongst minors. Yet regional laws to the effect have been adopted in Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, the Kostroma and Novosibirsk regions and St. Petersburg.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23