12 March 2013, 15:51
80% of Russians oppose same-sex marriages, gay pride parades - poll
Moscow, March 12, Interfax - Homophobia is rather widely spread in Russian society and hard feelings have grown over the past eight years, the Levada Center told Interfax.
Some 85% of Russians polled in February opposed same-sex marriages and 87% objected to gay pride parades. The number of same-sex marriage supporters is down from 14% to 5% in the past three years, and the number of people who do not mind gay pride parades remains at 6%.
Only 23% of Russians are tolerant to homosexuality and tend to understand problems of such people; they say gays and lesbians should be left alone. Twenty-seven percent believe homosexuals need psychological aid, 16% propose isolating them from the rest of society, 22% insist on compulsory therapy and 5% on their "liquidation."
Homophobia has grown in Russian society over the past eight years. The number of respondents suggesting that gays and lesbians should be left alone is 7% down, the number of respondents insisting on therapy is 5% and the number of respondents insisting on their isolation is 4% up.
Fifty percent of the respondents asked about their personal attitude toward gays and lesbians said they were irritated and disgusted, 18% were cautious, 23% were "calm and unemotional" and 4% had positive feelings.
Eighty percent of 1,600 respondents polled in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions opposed the right of same-sex couples to adopt children, 5% had no objections and 15% were hesitant.
Some 89% admitted they were not acquainted with gays or lesbians and only 6% acknowledged such acquaintances. Sixty-one percent said they would be profoundly upset if their children or grandchildren had fallen victim to homosexuality propaganda.
Russia does not have a federal law banning homosexuality propaganda amongst minors. Yet regional laws to the effect have been adopted in Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, the Kostroma and Novosibirsk regions and St. Petersburg.
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21