21 February 2013, 10:23
Russia to check reports of adoption of Russian child by U.S. woman in same-sex union
Moscow, February 21, Interfax - The Russian Investigative Committee will check media reports about the adoption of a Russian child by a U.S. woman in a same-sex marriage, committee spokesman Vladimir Markin has told Interfax.
"The check will be conducted at instructions from Investigative Committee chairman Alexander Bastrykin," Markin said.
Earlier Russian diplomats drew attention to the situation.
"We are seriously concerned about the situation with the 2007 adoption of Russian child Yegor Shatabalov by U.S. citizen Marcia Anne Brandt under a ruling issued by the Kemerovo region's court. According to information possessed by the Russian Embassy in Washington, the U.S. citizen lived in a 'same-sex' union with a woman named Beth Chapman. Marcia Anne Brandt deliberately concealed that circumstance from the Russian court to go around the Russian Family Code, which provides that marriage is a union between a man and a woman," Russian human rights ombudsman Konstantin Dolgov said in his comments posted on the Russian Foreign Ministry's website.
"The Russian Foreign Ministry and the relevant Russian authorities are investigating the circumstances governing Yegor's adoption. Our embassy and general consulate in San Francisco are seeking consular access to him, which we are now denied," Dolgov said.
Dolgov said the Brandt and Champan broke up in 2009 and began a custody battle.
"The boy was involved in a conflict that was doubtful in terms of morals. We believe that the situation Yegor is in now is unacceptable and damaging to his mental health. We are convinced that all these things contradict the boy's interests and requires the provision to him of normal living conditions and a chance to be raised in a full-fledged family," Dolgov said.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23