25 January 2013, 17:59
State Duma passes bill banning propaganda of homosexuality among children in first reading
Moscow, January 25, Interfax - The State Duma passed the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors in the first reading on Friday.
The document proposes amendments to the Code of Administrative Violations, in accordance with which citizens can be fined 4,000 to 5,000 rubles for promoting homosexuality among children. Similar actions are punishable by a fine of 40,000 to 50,000 rubles for officials and 400,000 to 500,000 rubles for legal entities.
The document was submitted to the State Duma by the Legislative Assembly of the Novosibirsk Region in March 2012.
A total of 388 deputies voted for the bill, one voted against it and one abstained from voting.
The State Duma committee on family, women and children, which is in charge of passing the bill in the State Duma, backed the bill and recommended that the State Duma pass it in the first reading, on condition that amendments are made to it in the second reading. For example, the committee believes the term "propaganda of homosexuality" needs specification.
"In particular, it would be expedient to specify the disposition of the article proposed by the bill, envisioning that propaganda of homosexuality among minors is expressed in the organization, in places accessible to children, of entertainment events involving homosexuals, in calls for and approval of homosexual relations on television and radio at times accessible to children," the committee said in its comments to the bill.
The committee believes this needs to be taken into account when the document is prepared for the second reading.
Positive comments on this document have been received from 47 regions, the committee said.
Legislative acts against such propaganda have already been adopted at the local level in some regions of Russia, including in the Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, Kostroma, and Novosibirsk regions, and also in St. Petersburg.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23