04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Russian Church hopes Orthodox-Catholic ties will grow stronger under new Pope 14 March 2013, 10:49
- Russian Orthodox Church's position on possible Patriarch-Pope meeting unchanged 13 March 2013, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Benedict XVI for firmness, humility 04 March 2013, 11:49
- Lukashenko thanks Benedict XVI for preserving Christian values 27 February 2013, 16:53
- Scottish cardinal resigned because of intrigues - Russian Orthodox Church 26 February 2013, 16:18
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes to maintain relations with Benedict XVI's successor - Metropolitan Hilarion 21 February 2013, 10:03
- New pope to work to "strengthen faith" - Vatican embassy adviser 13 February 2013, 17:57
- Putin aide praises Benedict XVI 13 February 2013, 10:01
- Russian scholar praises Benedict XVI, slams John Paul II 12 February 2013, 10:05
- Pope's resignation no threat to Catholic Church - Russian Catholics 12 February 2013, 10:02
- Age not the only reason for Pope's resignation - Russia's Evangelical Christian leader 12 February 2013, 10:01
- Russian lawmaker hopes good relations will be maintained between Russian Orthodox, Roman Catholic Churches 11 February 2013, 18:05
- Orthodox-Catholic relations won't be affected by change of Vatican leader - Russian Church 11 February 2013, 16:49
- Patriarch Kirill says it is too early to set date for his meeting with Pope 16 August 2012, 11:10
- Director of a Russian school complains of injustice to the Pope of Rome 14 April 2012, 16:15
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Catholic Poland 30 March 2012, 13:02
- Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Pope will meet, but not now - Metropolitan Hilarion 14 March 2012, 13:34
- Patriarch Kirill says his meeting with Pope is not possible yet 30 January 2012, 13:27
- Patriarch Kirill expresses "respect, fraternal love" to Pope Benedict XVI 27 September 2011, 10:03
- Russian and Vatican can do a lot to settle human problems and develop interreligious dialogue - Medvedev 15 July 2011, 12:28
- Rector of Russian Church in Iceland transfers icon to Catholic Church for the time of his vacations 16 June 2011, 12:47
- Almost one third of Russians believe historic division of Christians to be a mistake – poll 25 May 2011, 12:55
- Faberge exhibition to open next week in Vatican 04 April 2011, 15:13
- Orthodox liturgy was first celebrated at relics of St. Alexis, the Man of God 01 April 2011, 18:07
- Russian Church urges Catholics to organize missionary "attack" on Europe 21 March 2011, 12:14