16 August 2017
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Ukrainian issue will be among topics to be discussed during an upcoming visit to Moscow by the Holy See's Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin on August 20-24.
"The Ukrainian issue is still on the agenda and remains problematic in the relations between the two Churches because of the occasional destructive activities of the Greek Catholics in Ukraine, and it also has a humanitarian dimension," Hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov), the Synodal Department for External Church Relations' secretary for inter-Christian relations, told Interfax-Religion.
"The Russian Orthodox Church values Vatican's position on this issue, which precludes the use of the Holy See for speculations aimed at further escalating the Ukrainian crisis and moving the country's conflict into a purely religious domain," Father Stefan said.
The visit is taking place against the backdrop of the intensified relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican after a meeting between the Patriarch and the Pope and will "signify another stage of a cooperation that evolves across a variety of areas," the priest said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are the biggest Christian communities in the world. Their leaders are not afraid of assuming the responsibility to exert authoritative influence on today's social processes, raising their voice in defense of traditional moral values, in support of the Christians suffering in various world regions, primarily in the Middle East, and on a whole host of other issues a successful resolution of which will define the future of the entire humankind," Father Stefan said.
When asked whether the prospect of Pope Francis visiting Moscow might be discussed at the meeting, the priest recalled a recent interview in which the Vatican state secretary said that he had no intention of discussing the matter with the patriarch during his visit.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
- Russian lawmaker hopes good relations will be maintained between Russian Orthodox, Roman Catholic Churches 11 February 2013, 18:05
- Orthodox-Catholic relations won't be affected by change of Vatican leader - Russian Church 11 February 2013, 16:49
- Patriarch Kirill says it is too early to set date for his meeting with Pope 16 August 2012, 11:10
- Director of a Russian school complains of injustice to the Pope of Rome 14 April 2012, 16:15
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Catholic Poland 30 March 2012, 13:02
- Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Pope will meet, but not now - Metropolitan Hilarion 14 March 2012, 13:34
- Patriarch Kirill says his meeting with Pope is not possible yet 30 January 2012, 13:27
- Patriarch Kirill expresses "respect, fraternal love" to Pope Benedict XVI 27 September 2011, 10:03
- Russian and Vatican can do a lot to settle human problems and develop interreligious dialogue - Medvedev 15 July 2011, 12:28
- Rector of Russian Church in Iceland transfers icon to Catholic Church for the time of his vacations 16 June 2011, 12:47
- Almost one third of Russians believe historic division of Christians to be a mistake – poll 25 May 2011, 12:55
- Faberge exhibition to open next week in Vatican 04 April 2011, 15:13
- Orthodox liturgy was first celebrated at relics of St. Alexis, the Man of God 01 April 2011, 18:07
- Russian Church urges Catholics to organize missionary "attack" on Europe 21 March 2011, 12:14
- Sooner or later Patriarch Kirill and Benedict XVI will meet, the Vatican says 18 March 2011, 11:36
- Over 20 thsd books from Italian and papal universities to be transferred to Moscow Theological Academy 09 March 2011, 11:51
- Vatican names new ambassador to Russia 21 February 2011, 10:35
- Former Vatican Ambassador to Russia is decorated with Order of Friendship 18 February 2011, 17:47
- Pope, Patriarch will meet "when time comes" - Russian Church 17 February 2011, 17:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Medvedev's meeting with Benedict XVI 17 February 2011, 16:00
- Russian president meets with Pope 17 February 2011, 15:54
- Vekselberg's Link of Times Foundation to hold Faberge exhibition in Vatican 17 February 2011, 13:17
- Medvedev and Benedict XVI will compare notes on foreign political problems 16 February 2011, 10:02
- Pope-Medvedev meeting will help protect moral values worldwide - Vatican 14 February 2011, 17:52
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes strengthening relations between Moscow, Vatican 14 February 2011, 17:19