04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Patriarch Kirill finds first year of Pope Francis' service effective 13 March 2014, 17:55
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes Putin's Vatican visit will make Orthodox-Catholic ties stronger 22 November 2013, 11:01
- Putin to discuss Syrian peace process with pontiff 21 November 2013, 16:44
- Putin, Pope Francis to possibly meet 07 November 2013, 16:51
- Orthodox claims to Catholics are settled in Russia - Archbishop Pezzi 27 June 2013, 14:08
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Pope Francis will continue seeking closer relations with Russian Church 06 May 2013, 10:01
- Russians want friendlier relations between Orthodox, Catholic Churches - poll 15 April 2013, 10:01
- Pope Francis gives icon from Patriarch Kirill to former Pope Benedict XVI 25 March 2013, 13:15
- Pope Francis accepts icon of Virgin Mary, book from Patriarch Kirill 21 March 2013, 11:06
- Papal nuncio in Russia says new Pope to pay close attention to ecumenical relations 19 March 2013, 14:36
- Pope Francis says has prayed for Patriarch Kirill 19 March 2013, 13:28
- If Pope and Patriarch do meet, it will unlikely happen in Russia - Russian Catholic figure 14 March 2013, 17:54
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes ties with Catholics will grow stronger under new Pope (updated) 14 March 2013, 16:06
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with new Pope possible only after conflicts are resolved - Metropolitan Hilarion 14 March 2013, 15:49
- Ortodox-Catholic relations improve - Russian ambassador to Vatican 14 March 2013, 14:37
- Russian senators hope gap between Vatican and Orthodox Church will narrow under new pope (updated) 14 March 2013, 14:35
- Metropolitan Hilarion will head Russian delegation to new pope's enthronement 14 March 2013, 14:13
- Russian president congratulates new Roman Catholic pontiff on his election - Kremlin 14 March 2013, 11:57