22 August 2017
Topic of the day
New stage begins in Russian Church-Vatican relationship - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, August 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches have taken their relationship to a new level, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said.
"A new stage has begun in the development of our relations, full of very important events. It became possible because in Havana [at a meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis] we coordinated our positions on very important problems of the present day," the patriarch said at a meeting with the Vatican's Secretary of State Pietro Parolin on Tuesday.
"The commonality of our positions allows us to build relevant plans and fill these plans with real substance," Patriarch Kirill said.
The most significant event since the Havana meeting was the bringing of the holy relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker to Russia, the patriarch said.
Cardinal Parolin concurred with him. The Havana meeting gave a fresh impetus to ties between the two Churches, he said.
It is hoped this visit to Russia will become "a tiny little brick" in building new relations, the cardinal said.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes Putin's Vatican visit will make Orthodox-Catholic ties stronger 22 November 2013, 11:01
- Putin to discuss Syrian peace process with pontiff 21 November 2013, 16:44
- Putin, Pope Francis to possibly meet 07 November 2013, 16:51
- Orthodox claims to Catholics are settled in Russia - Archbishop Pezzi 27 June 2013, 14:08
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Pope Francis will continue seeking closer relations with Russian Church 06 May 2013, 10:01
- Russians want friendlier relations between Orthodox, Catholic Churches - poll 15 April 2013, 10:01
- Pope Francis gives icon from Patriarch Kirill to former Pope Benedict XVI 25 March 2013, 13:15
- Pope Francis accepts icon of Virgin Mary, book from Patriarch Kirill 21 March 2013, 11:06
- Papal nuncio in Russia says new Pope to pay close attention to ecumenical relations 19 March 2013, 14:36
- Pope Francis says has prayed for Patriarch Kirill 19 March 2013, 13:28
- If Pope and Patriarch do meet, it will unlikely happen in Russia - Russian Catholic figure 14 March 2013, 17:54
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes ties with Catholics will grow stronger under new Pope (updated) 14 March 2013, 16:06
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with new Pope possible only after conflicts are resolved - Metropolitan Hilarion 14 March 2013, 15:49
- Ortodox-Catholic relations improve - Russian ambassador to Vatican 14 March 2013, 14:37
- Russian senators hope gap between Vatican and Orthodox Church will narrow under new pope (updated) 14 March 2013, 14:35
- Metropolitan Hilarion will head Russian delegation to new pope's enthronement 14 March 2013, 14:13
- Russian president congratulates new Roman Catholic pontiff on his election - Kremlin 14 March 2013, 11:57
- Russian Church hopes Orthodox-Catholic ties will grow stronger under new Pope 14 March 2013, 10:49
- Russian Orthodox Church's position on possible Patriarch-Pope meeting unchanged 13 March 2013, 14:21