04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Belarus ready to host meeting between Pope, Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2016, 16:30
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25
- Patriarch's meeting with the pope helped save thousands of Syrians - Synod 18 April 2016, 14:17
- Russian, Catholic Churches to make list of destroyed churches, monasteries in Syria 11 April 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with the pontiff contributed to responding to global challenges, the Russian Foreign minister believes 06 April 2016, 17:05
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Pope Francis on Easter 28 March 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill says meeting with Pope forced world to admit genocide of Christians 21 March 2016, 10:01
- Russian Orthodox Church denies plans to take in Uniates 11 March 2016, 13:35
- Russian Orthodox Church cites deep differences with Holy See 11 March 2016, 12:27
- Russians consider meeting between pope, patriarch useful, support their further contacts - poll 09 March 2016, 18:28
- The Unia will always be the apple of discord between the Churches if Uniates won't overcome intolerance to others - UOC official 26 February 2016, 16:11
- State Duma speaker urges European politicians to follow the example of the pope and the patriarch 26 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope affected situation in world - Russian Church 24 February 2016, 16:30
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukrainian Uniates to renounce language of hatred, political cliches 24 February 2016, 10:13
- Meeting with Pope was prepared in secret because of too many opponents - Patriarch Kirill 24 February 2016, 10:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to jointly oppose de-Christianization of human civilization 20 February 2016, 18:14
- Nuncio's move from Russia is not connected with the meeting of the patriarch and the pope, the Russian church official says 20 February 2016, 10:22
- Russian Church urges its parishioners not to be afraid of the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches merger after Cuba meeting 20 February 2016, 10:21
- Russian and Catholic Church to exchange shrines for their believers to venerate during this year 19 February 2016, 16:11
- Ukrainian Greek-Catholics have aggressive rhetoric, even pope not an authority to them - Russian Church 17 February 2016, 17:49
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Rome, Pope Francis's visit to Moscow not under consideration now - Russian Orthodox Church 17 February 2016, 11:49
- Paraguay president deems Patriarch Kirill, Pontiff to be world's main religious leaders 17 February 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill says he has discussed ways to prevent global war with Pope Francis 15 February 2016, 15:55