16 August 2017
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Ukrainian issue will be among topics to be discussed during an upcoming visit to Moscow by the Holy See's Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin on August 20-24.
"The Ukrainian issue is still on the agenda and remains problematic in the relations between the two Churches because of the occasional destructive activities of the Greek Catholics in Ukraine, and it also has a humanitarian dimension," Hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov), the Synodal Department for External Church Relations' secretary for inter-Christian relations, told Interfax-Religion.
"The Russian Orthodox Church values Vatican's position on this issue, which precludes the use of the Holy See for speculations aimed at further escalating the Ukrainian crisis and moving the country's conflict into a purely religious domain," Father Stefan said.
The visit is taking place against the backdrop of the intensified relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican after a meeting between the Patriarch and the Pope and will "signify another stage of a cooperation that evolves across a variety of areas," the priest said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are the biggest Christian communities in the world. Their leaders are not afraid of assuming the responsibility to exert authoritative influence on today's social processes, raising their voice in defense of traditional moral values, in support of the Christians suffering in various world regions, primarily in the Middle East, and on a whole host of other issues a successful resolution of which will define the future of the entire humankind," Father Stefan said.
When asked whether the prospect of Pope Francis visiting Moscow might be discussed at the meeting, the priest recalled a recent interview in which the Vatican state secretary said that he had no intention of discussing the matter with the patriarch during his visit.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
- Russians consider meeting between pope, patriarch useful, support their further contacts - poll 09 March 2016, 18:28
- The Unia will always be the apple of discord between the Churches if Uniates won't overcome intolerance to others - UOC official 26 February 2016, 16:11
- State Duma speaker urges European politicians to follow the example of the pope and the patriarch 26 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope affected situation in world - Russian Church 24 February 2016, 16:30
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukrainian Uniates to renounce language of hatred, political cliches 24 February 2016, 10:13
- Meeting with Pope was prepared in secret because of too many opponents - Patriarch Kirill 24 February 2016, 10:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to jointly oppose de-Christianization of human civilization 20 February 2016, 18:14
- Nuncio's move from Russia is not connected with the meeting of the patriarch and the pope, the Russian church official says 20 February 2016, 10:22
- Russian Church urges its parishioners not to be afraid of the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches merger after Cuba meeting 20 February 2016, 10:21
- Russian and Catholic Church to exchange shrines for their believers to venerate during this year 19 February 2016, 16:11
- Ukrainian Greek-Catholics have aggressive rhetoric, even pope not an authority to them - Russian Church 17 February 2016, 17:49
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Rome, Pope Francis's visit to Moscow not under consideration now - Russian Orthodox Church 17 February 2016, 11:49
- Paraguay president deems Patriarch Kirill, Pontiff to be world's main religious leaders 17 February 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill says he has discussed ways to prevent global war with Pope Francis 15 February 2016, 15:55
- Kremlin welcomes meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis 15 February 2016, 13:18
- Russian Catholics expect more intense pilgrim exchanges between Russian Orthodox Church and Catholic Church 15 February 2016, 11:05
- Patriarch-pope meeting good example of possible West-Russia rapprochement - Medvedev 15 February 2016, 10:23
- Cuba could become capital of unity - Pope says after meeting with Patriarch Kirill 15 February 2016, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis speak against justification of crimes by religious slogans 15 February 2016, 10:20
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge Europe to protect believers' rights 15 February 2016, 10:14
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis say they recognize as family only union between man, woman; oppose abortions, euthanasia 15 February 2016, 10:14
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis call for stopping persecution of Christians in Middle East 15 February 2016, 10:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis call on believers in Ukraine to stop conflict 15 February 2016, 10:11
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis sign joint declaration following historic meeting in Cuba 15 February 2016, 10:01
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12