04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Human rights must be based on moral law - patriarch Alexy 17 April 2006, 14:27
- A Russian Orthodox Church representative: An idea of man being a measure of all things is a ‘manifest of an elite sect’ 14 April 2006, 15:12
- Inter-religious council hails outcome World Russian People's Council 12 April 2006, 17:46
- World Russian People's Council pledges support for North Caucasians 06 April 2006, 13:38
- Morals inseparable from human rights - World Russian People's Council 06 April 2006, 13:09
- Rights groups hail Orthodox rights center, criticize some initiatives 05 April 2006, 14:52
- Alexy II: It is necessary to combine idea of human rights and freedoms and national spiritual tradition 05 April 2006, 14:19
- Relations with Catholic Church developing slowly - Moscow Patriarchate 05 April 2006, 12:44
- Ukrainian Church hierarch: Russia is the last buttress of Ukrainian Orthodoxy 04 April 2006, 18:13
- Lukin hails formation of Orthodox Church human rights center 04 April 2006, 15:50
- Human rights should be based on moral norms - Metropolitan Kirill 04 April 2006, 15:05
- Assertion of tolerance Russia's unique mission - Lavrov 04 April 2006, 14:10
- Russia should share its multicultural experience - Alexy II 04 April 2006, 13:28
- Balancing points of view can help avoid conflict of civilizations - Russian Church 04 April 2006, 11:10
- Orthodox priest: Russian Church human rights center called to prevent the right to sin 31 March 2006, 11:16
- Russian Orthodox Church to set up human rights center 30 March 2006, 14:44
- Pope's visit to Moscow not planned - Metropolitan Kirill (updated) 30 March 2006, 12:47
- Moscow Patriarchate does not share Cardinal Kasper's 'excessive optimism' about progress in Orthodox-Catholic relations 28 March 2006, 16:05
- Metropolitan Kirill: Russia as great civilization unwilling to play its ever second role 28 March 2006, 12:16
- Patriarch Alexy II urges Catholics not to proselytize 23 March 2006, 16:07
- Metropolitan Kirill: Human rights is a priority in Russian today 28 February 2006, 17:09
- Russian Orthodox Church: The idea of human rights should not justify sin 28 February 2006, 13:56
- Meeting with Pope should resolve disputes between churches - Alexy II 30 December 2005, 15:35
- Russian church favors further dialogue with Vatican 15 November 2005, 12:43
- Archbishop Lajolo: Benedict XVI would be happy to welcome Alexy II in Vatican 02 November 2005, 11:23