04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Papal visit to Russia not on the agenda - metropolitan Kirill 07 June 2006, 10:24
- Moscow Patriarchate: no negotiations held so far with Vatican on meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI 02 June 2006, 14:23
- Vatican hopes that Alexy II, Benedict XVI will meet soon 02 June 2006, 13:06
- Moscow Patriarchate official conveys greetings to Benedict XVI from Alexy II 30 May 2006, 13:13
- Theological dialogue between Catholic and Orthodox Churches to resume this autumn 24 May 2006, 13:16
- Patriarch-Pope talks need substantial preparation - Metropolitan Kirill 20 May 2006, 12:00
- Orthodox Church, Vatican should work to preserve Christianity in Europe - Metropolitan Kirill 20 May 2006, 11:56
- Russian hierarch praises Pope Benedict XVI 20 May 2006, 11:48
- Papal Moscow visit was not discussed at talks 19 May 2006, 16:39
- Russian Orthodox Church in favor of intensified relations with Catholics in face of modern global problem 19 May 2006, 12:30
- Metropolitan Kirill, Pope Benedict XVI call for protecting family values 18 May 2006, 22:20
- Russian Catholics welcome Metropolitan Kirill's meeting with Pontiff 18 May 2006, 17:15
- Metropolitan Kirill rejects rightists’ criticism of Declaration on Human Rights and Dignity adopted by the World Russian People’s Council 11 May 2006, 12:02
- Patriarch Alexy names Pope's role crucial issue for overcoming schism in Christianity 10 May 2006, 15:44
- Moscow Patriarchate and Vatican representatives appeal to people in Europe 06 May 2006, 10:56
- Moscow Patriarchate representative in Strasbourg thanks his Vatican colleague for respect of Russian Church's position 05 May 2006, 17:13
- Vatican shares the call of the Russian Church to give moral dimension to modern concept of human rights 05 May 2006, 10:49
- Russian Church proposes to Russia's Catholics to stop 'looking at orthodox, if not through gun-sight, then through very bad binoculars' 04 May 2006, 17:37
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes for visible reanimation of Orthodox-Catholic dialogue 04 May 2006, 09:22
- Alexy II: Orthodox and Catholics should defend Christian values together 03 May 2006, 12:19
- Solzhenitsyn shares the Church's opinion: human rights concept should be built on Russia's traditional values 28 April 2006, 12:23
- Lavrov stresses importance of human rights concept adopted by 10th World Russian People’s Council 25 April 2006, 12:12
- Alexy II: Meeting with Pope possible after Church relations improve 21 April 2006, 14:46
- Catholic-Orthodox relations to define role of Christian values in Europe 19 April 2006, 16:46
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Vatican improving - official 19 April 2006, 12:53