04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Catholic archbishop regrets Vatican’s improper missionary activity in Russia and Eastern Europe in the 1990s (updated) 02 October 2006, 17:49
- Russian church's ties with Vatican have positive potential - Alexy II 02 October 2006, 16:58
- Archbishop of Milan presents Patriarch with St. Ambrose relics 02 October 2006, 15:33
- Meeting of Patriarch, Cardinal Tettamanzi indicates warm spell in relations – Bishop 02 October 2006, 14:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for pan-Christian alliance 29 September 2006, 11:19
- Russian Orthodox Church representative voices his protest to Cardinal Kasper against procedure at the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue 25 September 2006, 16:03
- Resumption of Orthodox-Catholic dialogue will draw still nearer Churches’ positions on problems of today - Moscow Patriarchate 18 September 2006, 12:36
- Patriarch Alexy II hopes for speedy settlement of problems in Orthodox-Catholic relations 18 September 2006, 10:11
- Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz hopes the join theological commission will give fresh impetus to Orthodox-Catholic relations 12 September 2006, 12:56
- Implementation of human rights in isolation from morality a threat to society - Alexy II 07 September 2006, 13:58
- Vatican's envoy to Russia urges broader ties between Catholic dioceses, local authorities 01 August 2006, 10:20
- Alexy II notes positive dynamics in Orthodox-Catholic relations under Benedict XVI 24 July 2006, 11:51
- Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate speaks up for the continuation of dialogue with Vatican 17 July 2006, 16:30
- Patriarch Alexy calls Roman Catholic Church to cooperation 06 July 2006, 15:15
- Moscow Patriarchate positive on relations with Vatican 05 July 2006, 16:41
- Alexy II is positive about Russian Orthodox - Roman Catholic relations 05 July 2006, 11:33
- Papal visit to Russia not on agenda - Cardinal Kasper 04 July 2006, 16:10
- Progress seen in Orthodox-Catholic relations - Cardinal Kasper 03 July 2006, 12:15
- Moscow Patriarchate points to positive shifts in relations with the Vatican 03 July 2006, 09:59
- Yavlinsky: Russian Orthodox Church’s initiative in human rights advocacy is an act of civic courage 26 June 2006, 17:39
- Russian Orthodox Church urges human rights activists to advocate truth outside their sponsors’ political interests 26 June 2006, 16:57
- Positions of Russian Church and Vatican on religious values are close 26 June 2006, 16:20
- Moscow hosts the next round of Orthodox-Catholic dialogue 23 June 2006, 17:04
- The Russian Orthodox Church thinks dialogue with Vatican to be difficult yet predictable 21 June 2006, 13:08
- Moscow Patriarchate and Vatican continue working upon joint position on human rights concept 20 June 2006, 17:24