04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Alexy II calls on Vatican to stop unfriendly policy toward canonical Church 05 December 2006, 13:21
- Russian Church hopes for Christian dialogue resulting form Pope's visit to Turkey 04 December 2006, 10:36
- Timely meeting of Patriarch of Moscow with Pope of Rome ‘in the right place’ would probably bring an important contribution to common witness about Christ - Metropolitan Kirill 24 November 2006, 13:07
- No room for confrontation in Orthodox-Catholic ties - Metropolitan Kirill 22 November 2006, 14:21
- Catholic-Orthodox disagreements will be overcome – Russian Catholic leader 21 November 2006, 13:34
- Papal Nuncio to the Russia underscores the necessity of dialogue with the Orthodox 17 November 2006, 17:26
- Russian Church wants coordination of steps with Catholics 09 November 2006, 16:06
- Meeting between Benedict XVI and Patriarch Bartholomew will not be a meeting of heads two universal Churches - Moscow Patriarchate 07 November 2006, 14:34
- Archbishop of Milan against missionary activities in Russia 02 November 2006, 15:28
- Russian Church representative in Strasbourg points to challenges faced by modern human rights concept 31 October 2006, 12:35
- Neo-Catechumenate movement refutes reports about its intention to train Orthodox priests for Russian Church 25 October 2006, 17:41
- Moscow Patriarchate dispels rumors of agreement with Neo-Catechumenate on evangelization training of Orthodox priests 24 October 2006, 12:52
- Alexy II and Benedict XVI exchange greetings 20 October 2006, 13:08
- The Roman Catholic Church notes the importance of inter-Christian dialogue facing the challenges of secular Europe 16 October 2006, 16:09
- No talks underway on pope's visit to Russia - Moscow patriarchate 16 October 2006, 13:08
- New CCEE president points to rapid development of Catholic Church in Russia 13 October 2006, 13:18
- Catholics in Russia hope for closer cooperation with Moscow Patriarchate 11 October 2006, 14:14
- Russia needs aid in evangelization - secretary general of the Council of Episcopal Conferences in Europe 09 October 2006, 13:42
- Moscow Patriarchate official thanks Cardinal Tettamanzi for clear denunciation of proselytism 09 October 2006, 12:44
- Cooperation between the Orthodox and Catholics is necessary for spiritual revival of Europe - Moscow Patriarchate 06 October 2006, 17:57
- Bayan-players from Sverdlovsk region performed Ave Maria at mass in a Catholic church in Italy 06 October 2006, 12:44
- Alexy II expects CCEE Petersburg forum to build up cooperation 05 October 2006, 11:57
- U.K. Catholic leader calls for better relations with Orthodox 05 October 2006, 10:23
- Alexy II speaks on importance of Orthodox-Catholic cooperation 05 October 2006, 10:20
- Mass media reports: "A Healing Astonishment. Catholic Self-Criticism Following the Orthodox-Catholic Dialogue in Belgrade" 03 October 2006, 13:01