04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- No talk of Patriarch meeting Pope now - Moscow Patriarchate 15 June 2007, 18:09
- Speaking of a possible meeting between the Pope and Patriarch Alexy hopefully means assuming that the Vatican is ready to settle problems with Moscow - Andrey Kurayev 15 June 2007, 17:01
- Catholic archbishop of Moscow refuses to comment on possible meeting between Benedict XVI, Alexy II 15 June 2007, 15:06
- St. Stephen’s relic to be laid in Christ the Savior’s reliquary 14 June 2007, 15:59
- Moscow Patriarchate to continue cooperation with Roman Catholic Church, Alexy II says 14 June 2007, 14:44
- Patriarch, Pope will not meet in Strasbourg - Moscow Patriarchate 01 June 2007, 16:59
- Pope's visit to Russia removed from Moscow Patriarchate's agenda - Metropolitan Kirill 01 June 2007, 15:37
- Russian converts to Catholicism are particular cases, not proselytizing policy result - Catholic archbishop 01 June 2007, 15:02
- Orthodox-Catholic consultations to be held in Moscow 29 May 2007, 15:36
- The system of representation in the Joint Orthodox-Catholic Commission is not quite adequate - Moscow Patriarchate 28 May 2007, 12:23
- Orthodox-Catholic Commission for Theological Dialogue to discuss primacy of the Pope of Rome and Patriarch of Constantinople at the meeting in October in Italy 28 May 2007, 12:17
- Rumors about forthcoming meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI refuted in Moscow Patriarchate 22 May 2007, 14:01
- Vatican hopes for broader dialogue after reunification of Orthodox Church 21 May 2007, 12:16
- Catholic archbishop rejects the practice of proselytism in Russia 14 May 2007, 11:43
- Nuncio appreciates Russian Orthodox Church’s contribution to the Christian concept of human rights 18 April 2007, 17:27
- Joint concert of Russian, Italian and Vatican orchestras held in Moscow Catholic cathedral 12 April 2007, 13:52
- Cardinal brings St. John Chrysostom’s relics to Khabarovsk 11 April 2007, 13:26
- Moscow Patriarchate: there are no essential changes in relations with Catholics in Russia and Ukraine 04 April 2007, 15:36
- Catholic community in Russia agrees haste inappropriate over Alexy II’s meeting with the Pope of Rome 04 April 2007, 14:13
- Head of Russian Catholics calls for Orthodox, Catholic dialogue 04 April 2007, 11:40
- Talks with Pope possible after rifts with Vatican healed - Alexy II 03 April 2007, 11:41
- Moscow Patriarchate to shape position on precedence in Christian religion 28 March 2007, 11:10
- Moscow Patriarchate confirms theological differences with Catholics 22 March 2007, 14:49
- Orthodox believers, Catholics have almost no theological disputes left - Archbishop Schonborn 22 March 2007, 12:50
- Russian Catholics hope the meeting of Putin and Benedict XVI helps interconfessional dialogue in Russia 16 March 2007, 15:17