04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Orthodox Church would like to view Catholics as allies, not foes 02 October 2007, 15:52
- Moscow Patriarchate wants careful preparation of patriarch-pope meeting 02 October 2007, 13:21
- Alexy II hopes his visit to France will strengthen Orthodox-Catholic relations 02 October 2007, 12:58
- Alexy II does not exclude meeting with Pope of Rome as soon as after a year or two 02 October 2007, 12:52
- Russian patriarch says meeting with Benedict not planned 01 October 2007, 11:28
- Meeting with Pope should be preceded by resolution of bilateral problems - Alexy II 14 September 2007, 10:08
- Alexy II and Benedict XVI exchange greetings 13 September 2007, 14:44
- Alexy II awards Vatican representative in Russia an order of merit for strengthening Orthodox-Catholic relations 04 September 2007, 13:21
- Alexy II greets Catholics as they reintroduce Latin Mass 30 August 2007, 12:33
- Meeting with Pope possible on certain terms - Alexy II 30 August 2007, 11:16
- Cardinal Etchegaray urges not to make a 'show' around the question of meeting between Pope of Rome and Patriarch of Moscow 16 August 2007, 10:01
- Catholic Cardinal: relations with Orthodox Church warmer 13 August 2007, 10:17
- Patriarch Alexy II calls on Vatican to abandon policies preventing church rapprochement 07 August 2007, 17:58
- Meeting between Pope Benedict and Patriarch Alexy becoming more likely - Vatican official 07 August 2007, 15:52
- Pope Benedict XVI sends gift to Patriarch Alexy II 07 August 2007, 13:15
- Cardinal Etchegaray to meet Patriarch Alexy and take part in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Novosibirsk Catholic cathedral 06 August 2007, 14:28
- The pope's support for traditional mass is understandable for Orthodox in Russia with their reverence for liturgy - Archbishop Mennini 20 July 2007, 17:43
- Vatican’s recent document does not affirm superiority of Catholicism - Holy See representative in Moscow 20 July 2007, 17:26
- Vatican's honest position furthers dialogue - Metropolitan Kirill 11 July 2007, 10:00
- Archbishop of Cyprus visit awaited in Russia, not linked with Vatican 20 June 2007, 11:53
- Metropolitan Kirill denies rumors of Patriarch’s early meeting with Pope 19 June 2007, 14:36
- Cardinal Poupard believes Pope, Patriarch will meet soon 19 June 2007, 13:29
- Vatican has no plans to convert Russia to Catholicism - cardinal Poupard 18 June 2007, 14:09
- No talk of Patriarch meeting Pope now - Moscow Patriarchate 15 June 2007, 18:09
- Speaking of a possible meeting between the Pope and Patriarch Alexy hopefully means assuming that the Vatican is ready to settle problems with Moscow - Andrey Kurayev 15 June 2007, 17:01