04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Archbishop Pezzi believes in Benedict XVI's meeting with Alexy II but doubts it'll be in Moscow 01 July 2008, 14:58
- Alexy II says Vatican should stop proselytism in CIS 24 June 2008, 17:43
- Envoy says Orthodox-Catholic unity unlikely 09 June 2008, 14:14
- Statements on upcoming meeting between pope, patriarch may be diplomatic move 03 June 2008, 15:10
- Benedict XVI is grateful to Alexy II for goodwill towards the Catholic Church 02 June 2008, 11:53
- The Catholic Church won't keep up its dialogue with Orthodox world without the Russian Church, the Vatican's representative assures 30 May 2008, 16:57
- Alexy II, Cardinal Kasper discuss Uniate Church's expansion in Ukraine (updated) 29 May 2008, 14:51
- Cardinal Kasper presents Pontiff's message to Alexy II 29 May 2008, 13:46
- Cardinal Casper celebrated a mess in the Moscow Catholic Cathedral 23 May 2008, 12:50
- Vatican still unsure about time of Pontiff meeting with Alexy II 22 May 2008, 16:18
- Cardinal Kasper to visit Russia to learn more about Orthodox Church life 12 May 2008, 10:46
- Alexy II calls for development of relations between Orthodox, Catholics 28 April 2008, 11:51
- Moscow Patriarchate believes in strategic alliance with Catholics 21 April 2008, 12:39
- Pope blessed people, government of Russia 17 April 2008, 10:35
- Russian Orthodox and Catholic believers treat each other better - joint working group 28 March 2008, 10:58
- The Moscow Patriarchate objects to media’s unscrupulous coverage of Orthodox-Catholic theme 26 March 2008, 14:51
- Moscow Patriarchate calls on Vatican to discuss status of Catholic dioceses in Russia 26 February 2008, 12:28
- No breakthrough in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue - Russian Church (updated) 19 February 2008, 18:29
- Catholic Church to finance an Orthodox school in Kalmykia village 22 January 2008, 16:35
- The Russian Church’s representative conveys Christmas presents to children from the Moscow Catholic orphanage 14 January 2008, 12:30
- Among the reasons for improvement in relations with Vatican is that Benedict XVI doesn't strive to come to Moscow – Moscow Patriarchate 10 January 2008, 18:07
- Meeting between the Patriarch, Pope possible when disagreements are settled - Patriarchate 10 January 2008, 13:24
- Orthodox-Catholic dialogue in Russia developing slowly - Moscow Patriarchate 26 December 2007, 10:22
- Orthodox Churches must settle internal disputes before they start dialogue with the Roman-Catholics, Patriarch Alexy II 18 December 2007, 17:03
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes Opus Dei won't engage in proselytism 18 December 2007, 11:00