04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Lukashenko invites Pontiff to Belarus 27 April 2009, 14:26
- Lukashenko to pass Patriarch Kirill's questions to Pope 27 April 2009, 11:05
- Archbishop Pezzi recommends Catholic priests to avoid competition with Orthodox clerics 24 April 2009, 13:08
- Lukashenko: Vatican upbeat about Belarus authorities' attitude to Catholics 23 April 2009, 16:33
- Lukashenko’s visit to Vatican will make it easier for him to get used to European leaders, the Byelorussian political expert believes 23 April 2009, 15:31
- Patriarch Kirill promotes priest in charge for Inter-Christian relations 22 April 2009, 11:03
- Belarus could be fine place for Moscow Patriarch meeting with Pope - official 21 April 2009, 17:55
- Moscow Patriarchate: Lukashenko's visit to Vatican may positively impact Orthodox-Catholic relations 21 April 2009, 14:49
- Meeting of Pope and Russian Patriarch impossible without denunciation of proselytism 10 April 2009, 15:53
- The Moscow Patriarchate approves of Pope's uncompromising position on ethics 06 April 2009, 12:09
- Meeting between Russian Patriarch, Pope remains on agenda - Russian Church hierarch 06 April 2009, 11:19
- Vatican hopes to strengthen relations with Russia - nuncio 23 March 2009, 16:35
- Russian, Vatican foreign ministers discuss international, humanitarian issues 23 March 2009, 16:22
- Moscow Patriarchate supports position of Pope Benedict XVI rejecting condoms 20 March 2009, 14:38
- Obstacles to meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Benedict XVI are still there - Moscow Patriarchate 13 February 2009, 14:02
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for broader dialogue with Catholics (updated) 03 February 2009, 12:23
- Meeting between Russian Patriarch and Pope hardly possible in 2009 - Moscow Patriarchate 03 February 2009, 11:13
- Patriarch Kirill has no urgent plans to see Pope 28 January 2009, 19:26
- No compromise of faith in dialog with other confessions - Metropolitan Kirill 27 January 2009, 15:47
- New Patriarch, Pope will meet once differences are resolved - Metropolitan Kirill 26 January 2009, 12:01
- Russian Church against compromise on belief-preaching with Catholics - Metropolitan Kirill 21 January 2009, 13:27
- Orthodox believers should keep the purity of faith and share it with those who are near and far – Metropolitan Kirill 29 December 2008, 16:11
- Vatican representative in Russia urges Catholics to strengthen relations with Russian Church 28 November 2008, 14:13
- Orthodox people should review Catholic and Protestant principles of working with young people, the Orthodox Church believes 12 November 2008, 13:14
- No summit between Alexy and Benedict XVI prepared in Baku – Bishop of Baku 11 November 2008, 19:16