16 August 2017
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Ukrainian issue will be among topics to be discussed during an upcoming visit to Moscow by the Holy See's Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin on August 20-24.
"The Ukrainian issue is still on the agenda and remains problematic in the relations between the two Churches because of the occasional destructive activities of the Greek Catholics in Ukraine, and it also has a humanitarian dimension," Hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov), the Synodal Department for External Church Relations' secretary for inter-Christian relations, told Interfax-Religion.
"The Russian Orthodox Church values Vatican's position on this issue, which precludes the use of the Holy See for speculations aimed at further escalating the Ukrainian crisis and moving the country's conflict into a purely religious domain," Father Stefan said.
The visit is taking place against the backdrop of the intensified relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican after a meeting between the Patriarch and the Pope and will "signify another stage of a cooperation that evolves across a variety of areas," the priest said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are the biggest Christian communities in the world. Their leaders are not afraid of assuming the responsibility to exert authoritative influence on today's social processes, raising their voice in defense of traditional moral values, in support of the Christians suffering in various world regions, primarily in the Middle East, and on a whole host of other issues a successful resolution of which will define the future of the entire humankind," Father Stefan said.
When asked whether the prospect of Pope Francis visiting Moscow might be discussed at the meeting, the priest recalled a recent interview in which the Vatican state secretary said that he had no intention of discussing the matter with the patriarch during his visit.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
- Lukashenko says he'd like Orthodox, Catholic Church heads to meet in Belarus 24 September 2008, 13:22
- The Moscow Patriarchate against Catholic efforts to expand influence over Orthodox 18 September 2008, 15:58
- Eighty Milan priests headed by Cardinal Tettamanzi round off their visit to Russia celebrating Assumption in the Novodevichy Convent 01 September 2008, 10:37
- Cardinal Tettamanzi donates a cross with relics to the Holy Trinity St. Sergius Laura 28 August 2008, 12:53
- Eighty Catholic priests headed by the Archbishop of Milan on pilgrimage to Russia 27 August 2008, 14:01
- Mass media review: "Russia and its Church seen from close up". Giulio Andreotti interviews Antonio Mennini, Apostolic Nuncio to the Russian Federation 06 August 2008, 17:02
- The Vatican believes a meeting between Benedict XVI and Alexy II is possible, but urges to avoid speculations 06 August 2008, 16:53
- Cardinal Etchegaray grateful to Patriarch Alexy's support during his illness 06 August 2008, 16:20
- Vatican's top officials to visit Russia soon 17 July 2008, 10:24
- Bishop to represent Russian Orthodox Church in Italy 16 July 2008, 17:16
- Bishops' Council against isolation and confessional mix, the Moscow Patriarchate says 11 July 2008, 14:17
- The Romanian Synod condemns its metropolitan who communed with Uniates, but decided not to punish him 11 July 2008, 10:03
- Archbishop Pezzi believes in Benedict XVI's meeting with Alexy II but doubts it'll be in Moscow 01 July 2008, 14:58
- Alexy II says Vatican should stop proselytism in CIS 24 June 2008, 17:43
- Envoy says Orthodox-Catholic unity unlikely 09 June 2008, 14:14
- Statements on upcoming meeting between pope, patriarch may be diplomatic move 03 June 2008, 15:10
- Benedict XVI is grateful to Alexy II for goodwill towards the Catholic Church 02 June 2008, 11:53
- The Catholic Church won't keep up its dialogue with Orthodox world without the Russian Church, the Vatican's representative assures 30 May 2008, 16:57
- Alexy II, Cardinal Kasper discuss Uniate Church's expansion in Ukraine (updated) 29 May 2008, 14:51
- Cardinal Kasper presents Pontiff's message to Alexy II 29 May 2008, 13:46
- Cardinal Casper celebrated a mess in the Moscow Catholic Cathedral 23 May 2008, 12:50
- Vatican still unsure about time of Pontiff meeting with Alexy II 22 May 2008, 16:18
- Cardinal Kasper to visit Russia to learn more about Orthodox Church life 12 May 2008, 10:46
- Alexy II calls for development of relations between Orthodox, Catholics 28 April 2008, 11:51
- Moscow Patriarchate believes in strategic alliance with Catholics 21 April 2008, 12:39