04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Medvedev may affirm similarity of church views at meeting with Pontiff 26 November 2009, 16:38
- Meeting possible between Pope, Patriarch Kirill - Archbishop Hilarion 12 November 2009, 12:23
- Next session of Orthodox-Catholic Theological Commission to be held in Vienna in September 2010 03 November 2009, 10:01
- Next session of the Orthodox-Catholic Theological Dialogue opens in Cyprus 19 October 2009, 18:49
- Moscow Patriarchate denies that Patriarch Kirill plans to meet with Pope 07 October 2009, 11:13
- Archbishop Hilarion urges to overcome disputes Orthodox and Catholics had for thousand years 21 September 2009, 13:25
- Moscow Patriarchate believes Uniate expansion in Ukraine the most complicated problem in relations with Vatican 18 September 2009, 14:01
- Archbishop Hilarion to discuss Orthodox-Catholic dialogue with Benedict XVI 17 September 2009, 13:24
- Archbishop Hilarion to visit Vatican soon 09 September 2009, 14:55
- German Catholics return the Russian Church the icon taken away during the World War II 17 August 2009, 11:49
- New page in relations with Vatican yet to be opened - Russian Church 07 July 2009, 17:57
- Vatican, Russia close to full-scale diplomatic relations - nuncio 06 July 2009, 16:31
- Russia plans to develop relations with Vatican – Medvedev 06 July 2009, 16:28
- Catholic and Orthodox believers are ceasing to view each other as "competing companies" 17 June 2009, 12:10
- Apostolic nuncio thinks Catholic-Orthodox dialog progressing 10 June 2009, 18:03
- Orthodox and Catholic Churches should abandon competition - Moscow Patriarchate figure 08 June 2009, 11:26
- Lukashenko denies mediation between Orthodox, Catholic Churches 05 June 2009, 12:07
- Mass media review: "Russian Orthodox Consecrate Parish in Rome" 26 May 2009, 11:30
- Mass media review: "Relations Warms Between Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican" 26 May 2009, 11:24
- Archbishop Hilarion, Archbishop Mennini discuss Orthodox-Catholic relations 14 May 2009, 13:53
- Lukashenko says his initiative on Pope, Patriarch meeting is not politicized 08 May 2009, 16:17
- Decision on Patriarch, Pope meeting will be made without mediators - Russian Church 08 May 2009, 16:11
- Second persons of Catholic and Orthodox Churches are probable to meet in Byelorussia this fall 29 April 2009, 15:57
- Meeting between Patriarch, Pope should not be result of opportunistic motives - Moscow Patriarchate 29 April 2009, 10:10
- Lukashenko: Pope hopes to meet with Russian Patriarch soon 28 April 2009, 16:01