16 August 2017
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Ukrainian issue will be among topics to be discussed during an upcoming visit to Moscow by the Holy See's Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin on August 20-24.
"The Ukrainian issue is still on the agenda and remains problematic in the relations between the two Churches because of the occasional destructive activities of the Greek Catholics in Ukraine, and it also has a humanitarian dimension," Hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov), the Synodal Department for External Church Relations' secretary for inter-Christian relations, told Interfax-Religion.
"The Russian Orthodox Church values Vatican's position on this issue, which precludes the use of the Holy See for speculations aimed at further escalating the Ukrainian crisis and moving the country's conflict into a purely religious domain," Father Stefan said.
The visit is taking place against the backdrop of the intensified relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican after a meeting between the Patriarch and the Pope and will "signify another stage of a cooperation that evolves across a variety of areas," the priest said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are the biggest Christian communities in the world. Their leaders are not afraid of assuming the responsibility to exert authoritative influence on today's social processes, raising their voice in defense of traditional moral values, in support of the Christians suffering in various world regions, primarily in the Middle East, and on a whole host of other issues a successful resolution of which will define the future of the entire humankind," Father Stefan said.
When asked whether the prospect of Pope Francis visiting Moscow might be discussed at the meeting, the priest recalled a recent interview in which the Vatican state secretary said that he had no intention of discussing the matter with the patriarch during his visit.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
- Russia plans to develop relations with Vatican – Medvedev 06 July 2009, 16:28
- Catholic and Orthodox believers are ceasing to view each other as "competing companies" 17 June 2009, 12:10
- Apostolic nuncio thinks Catholic-Orthodox dialog progressing 10 June 2009, 18:03
- Orthodox and Catholic Churches should abandon competition - Moscow Patriarchate figure 08 June 2009, 11:26
- Lukashenko denies mediation between Orthodox, Catholic Churches 05 June 2009, 12:07
- Mass media review: "Russian Orthodox Consecrate Parish in Rome" 26 May 2009, 11:30
- Mass media review: "Relations Warms Between Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican" 26 May 2009, 11:24
- Archbishop Hilarion, Archbishop Mennini discuss Orthodox-Catholic relations 14 May 2009, 13:53
- Lukashenko says his initiative on Pope, Patriarch meeting is not politicized 08 May 2009, 16:17
- Decision on Patriarch, Pope meeting will be made without mediators - Russian Church 08 May 2009, 16:11
- Second persons of Catholic and Orthodox Churches are probable to meet in Byelorussia this fall 29 April 2009, 15:57
- Meeting between Patriarch, Pope should not be result of opportunistic motives - Moscow Patriarchate 29 April 2009, 10:10
- Lukashenko: Pope hopes to meet with Russian Patriarch soon 28 April 2009, 16:01
- Belarus, Vatican seek broader ties - Belarusian diplomat 27 April 2009, 16:00
- Lukashenko invites Pontiff to Belarus 27 April 2009, 14:26
- Lukashenko to pass Patriarch Kirill's questions to Pope 27 April 2009, 11:05
- Archbishop Pezzi recommends Catholic priests to avoid competition with Orthodox clerics 24 April 2009, 13:08
- Lukashenko: Vatican upbeat about Belarus authorities' attitude to Catholics 23 April 2009, 16:33
- Lukashenko’s visit to Vatican will make it easier for him to get used to European leaders, the Byelorussian political expert believes 23 April 2009, 15:31
- Patriarch Kirill promotes priest in charge for Inter-Christian relations 22 April 2009, 11:03
- Belarus could be fine place for Moscow Patriarch meeting with Pope - official 21 April 2009, 17:55
- Moscow Patriarchate: Lukashenko's visit to Vatican may positively impact Orthodox-Catholic relations 21 April 2009, 14:49
- Meeting of Pope and Russian Patriarch impossible without denunciation of proselytism 10 April 2009, 15:53
- The Moscow Patriarchate approves of Pope's uncompromising position on ethics 06 April 2009, 12:09
- Meeting between Russian Patriarch, Pope remains on agenda - Russian Church hierarch 06 April 2009, 11:19