04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Catholic, Orthodox Churches to try to overcome millennium-long disagreement 22 September 2010, 10:23
- Russian Catholics are interested in strong Orthodoxy 03 September 2010, 17:07
- Swiss theologian became an Orthodox 31 August 2010, 11:23
- Patriarch Kirill agrees with Pope on many issues 19 July 2010, 12:31
- Russian Church hopes to develop cooperation with Vatican under new head of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity 05 July 2010, 13:56
- Vatican ambassador to Russia urges Catholic priests to periodically attend Orthodox divine services 18 June 2010, 15:35
- Meeting between Patriarch, Pope will take place when sides ready - Russian Orthodox Church 09 June 2010, 13:59
- Catholic festivities not best occasion for Pope's visit to Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 26 May 2010, 11:56
- Benedict XVI thanks Patriarch Kirill for concert in Vatican 21 May 2010, 14:18
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes that the meeting between Moscow Patriarch and Pope will happen during the tenure of current Primates 19 May 2010, 18:19
- Vatican to hold concert of Russian Orthodox music 17 May 2010, 11:31
- Vatican will have Russian embassy 22 March 2010, 12:44
- It is impossible to be Catholic in Russia without respecting Russian Church – Archbishop Pezzi 18 February 2010, 14:23
- Vatican to hold Days of Russian Spiritual Culture 12 February 2010, 12:49
- Metropolitan Hilarion asks priests not to refuse Orthodox and Catholic in marriage 04 February 2010, 16:45
- Russian Church, Pope agree on many contemporary issues - Patriarch Kirill (updated) 02 February 2010, 16:00
- Russian Orthodox Church tight-lipped about possible meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Benedict XVI 13 January 2010, 10:32
- Moscow Patriarchate thanks Pope for not pressing on meeting with Moscow Patriarch 16 December 2009, 10:01
- Russian Church wants "concrete steps" from Vatican to make Patriarch-Pope meeting possible 07 December 2009, 11:56
- Patriarch Kirill believes Orthodox and Catholics should jointly oppose world atheism 04 December 2009, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Catholics for their support in opening Orthodox seminary in France 04 December 2009, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate: Russian-Vatican diplomatic relations to work for welfare of nations and Churches 04 December 2009, 13:37
- Russia-Vatican diplomatic relations to help protect peace and promote human values, the Holy See Representative to Russia believes 04 December 2009, 12:50
- Russia to seek embassy level for diplomatic relations with Vatican 04 December 2009, 11:05
- Medvedev and Benedict XVI will discuss international problems, dialog between various cultures and religions and cooperation in the field of humanities 02 December 2009, 17:26