28 July 2020
Topic of the day
Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings
Moscow, July 28, Interfax - The United Kingdom embassy in Moscow has received a note of protest from the Russian Foreign Ministry over the appearance of an LGBT flag on the embassy building in late June, a diplomatic source confirmed to Interfax on Tuesday.
Russian State Duma member Vasily Piskaryov said earlier that the Russian Foreign Ministry had forwarded notes of protest to representatives of the embassies of the UK, the United States, and Canada over LGBT flags hoisted on these embassies' buildings in Moscow at the end of June in support of the LGBT community, its rights and freedoms.
"The Foreign Ministry promptly responded to our address by forwarding notes of protest to the embassies of the U.S., the UK, and Canada in which it stressed that their actions violated the provisions of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and national legislation of the Russian Federation," Piskaryov said on Monday.
"These steps were taken during the period of voting on amendments to the Russian Constitution that sealed provisions on protecting and safeguarding traditional family values," he said.
According to Piskaryov, his commission "continues its work and intends to draw special attention to attempts of interference in our country's internal affairs during preparations for the upcoming regional elections on September 13."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- No applications made to protest against anti-gay law during Olympics - Deputy PM Kozak 06 February 2014, 15:10
- Kremlin hasn't received law from culture, science figures on rescinding anti-gay law – spokesman 06 February 2014, 13:26
- Protodeacon Kurayev believes absurd homosexuals' wish to call their unions families 29 January 2014, 17:37
- Court rejects appeal in gay propaganda case - LGBT activist Alexeyev 23 January 2014, 18:06
- Okhlobystin steps down as chief creative officer of Euroset after LGBT threats 15 January 2014, 10:01
- Kazakh MPs seek criminal liability for homosexuality 14 January 2014, 14:00
- Idea to return criminal liability for homosexuality is logical - Orthodox human rights activist 10 January 2014, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church supports debate on anti-sodomy law 10 January 2014, 13:09
- Rights defenders say Okhlobystin's idea to put gays in prison is obscurantist, odious 10 January 2014, 11:54
- Russian LGBT community does not expect "sodomy" article to be restored in Penal Code 10 January 2014, 11:42
- Russian cellphone trader not to fire manager for seeking gay sex re-criminalization 10 January 2014, 10:14
- Georgian patriarch asks Europe not to impose alien ideas on nation 07 January 2014, 14:15
- Ukraine not prepared to legalize same-sex "marriages", as demanded by EU - Azarov 16 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- Homophobia should not be created in society - Putin 21 November 2013, 10:05
- Moscow perplexed with U.S. demands for review of IOC opinion on Russian gay propaganda law 15 November 2013, 13:21
- Georgian Patriarchate against LGBT-sponsored shelter for homeless children 15 November 2013, 12:53
- Russia did not violate intl law by banning homosexuality propaganda among minors - children's ombudsman (updated) 14 November 2013, 16:30
- Attempt to link Russia-EU visa talks with position of sexual minorities absurd - diplomatic source 07 November 2013, 10:05
- Protesters: pact with EU to mean Ukraine's "homosexualization" 06 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin says Olympic Games participants, guests, including sexual minorities, will be comfortable 29 October 2013, 10:25
- Police detain 67 LGBT activists at rally in central St. Petersburg 14 October 2013, 10:09
- Orthodox supporters of gay propaganda penalty thwart Moldovan parliament's meeting 11 October 2013, 11:38