07 September 2017
Topic of the day
Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs
Moscow, September 7, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has described Pyotr Poroshenko's remarks that Ukraine should create an autocephalous Orthodox Church with the support of the Patriarch of Constantinople, as an attempt to earn political capital.
During the annual address to parliament on Thursday, the president said that Ukraine is entitled to an autocephalous Orthodox Church, and will seek its creation. "The recognition of the Ukrainian autocephaly which we expect from the Ecumenical patriarch will by no means signify the emergence of a state church or the banning of other Christian Orthodox denominations' activities," Poroshenko said.
This is not the first time that the Ukrainian leader said his country needs an independent (autocephalous) church, the Moscow Patriarchate said. For example, last year Verkhovnaya Rada deputies wrote to the Patriarch of Constantinople raising the same issue.
"And just like then, this time round interference in the Church's internal affairs is evident," Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, secretary for inter-Orthodox relation at the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, told Interfax-Religion.
The president's statement today was "not in any way agreed on with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is the autocephalous Church of Ukraine recognized by the whole Christian Orthodox world," the priest said.
During one of his visits to Kiev, Patriarch Kirill told the then president, Viktor Yushchenko, that the autocephalous Orthodox Church had existed in Ukraine for over a thousand years, and is now known as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the priest recalled.
"Obviously, attempts to resolve church's problems without the Church itself are doomed, as was repeatedly stated by the aforementioned Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. Most likely, those politicians who are trying to earn political capital on this topic should heed the opinion of autocephalous Orthodox church leaders, and stop meddling in the internal affairs of the Church," the synodal department representative said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 |
- Head of Russian Jewish organization slams EU "pressure" on Ukraine 18 December 2013, 10:03
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- Timoshenko's icon on Internet sale for €100,000, no buyers yet found 28 October 2013, 13:27
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea 21 October 2013, 13:22
- Hasids say are ready to change traditional prayer site in Uman 23 August 2013, 16:41
- Court bans Ukrainian nationalists's Kiev rally 26 July 2013, 10:44
- Ukrainians trust Church and domestic media, mistrust politicians – poll 23 July 2013, 16:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Lukashenko discuss preparations for celebrations of 1025th anniversary of christening of Russia 24 June 2013, 14:41
- Russia's Baptism Day to be celebrated in the USA 21 June 2013, 10:00
- Kiev Laura of the Caves, St. Sofia of Kiev Cathedral remain on UNESCO's World Heritage List 20 June 2013, 14:28
- Ukrainians have trust in Church, media, army - poll 07 June 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman regrets incident at Kiev airport 26 July 2012, 18:55
- Ukrainian nationalists protest Patriarch Kirill's visit to Kiev 26 July 2012, 18:52
- Patriarch Kirill visiting Kiev to mark 20th anniversary of Metropolitan Vladimir's service 26 July 2012, 18:48
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Ukraine on July 26 to 28 18 July 2012, 15:36
- Metropolitan of Kiev was installed a pacemaker 11 July 2012, 16:54
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church suspects some strangers of attempt to poison the abbot of Kiev Laura of the Caves 10 July 2012, 15:47
- Former Playboy star gets job in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 20 June 2012, 10:18
- The Ukrainian Church Primate's secretary manipulates him, the Orthodox activist says 26 January 2012, 15:45
- Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church hospitalized in grave condition 02 November 2011, 13:08
- Ukrainian first lady to start her birthday from confession and communion 07 October 2011, 12:50
- Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church was operated 20 September 2011, 10:41
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukraine to conform around Holy Rus' ideals 15 September 2011, 16:31