07 September 2017
Topic of the day
Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs
Moscow, September 7, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has described Pyotr Poroshenko's remarks that Ukraine should create an autocephalous Orthodox Church with the support of the Patriarch of Constantinople, as an attempt to earn political capital.
During the annual address to parliament on Thursday, the president said that Ukraine is entitled to an autocephalous Orthodox Church, and will seek its creation. "The recognition of the Ukrainian autocephaly which we expect from the Ecumenical patriarch will by no means signify the emergence of a state church or the banning of other Christian Orthodox denominations' activities," Poroshenko said.
This is not the first time that the Ukrainian leader said his country needs an independent (autocephalous) church, the Moscow Patriarchate said. For example, last year Verkhovnaya Rada deputies wrote to the Patriarch of Constantinople raising the same issue.
"And just like then, this time round interference in the Church's internal affairs is evident," Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, secretary for inter-Orthodox relation at the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, told Interfax-Religion.
The president's statement today was "not in any way agreed on with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is the autocephalous Church of Ukraine recognized by the whole Christian Orthodox world," the priest said.
During one of his visits to Kiev, Patriarch Kirill told the then president, Viktor Yushchenko, that the autocephalous Orthodox Church had existed in Ukraine for over a thousand years, and is now known as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the priest recalled.
"Obviously, attempts to resolve church's problems without the Church itself are doomed, as was repeatedly stated by the aforementioned Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. Most likely, those politicians who are trying to earn political capital on this topic should heed the opinion of autocephalous Orthodox church leaders, and stop meddling in the internal affairs of the Church," the synodal department representative said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 |
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05