06 November 2009
Topic of the day
The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Representative of the Moscow Patriarchate calls extremely untimely the idea to bury Lenin's body and urges to introduce a moratorium on a war against political symbols in Russia.
"We understand that his presence on Red Square has nothing to do with Christian traditions. But we can raise a question about reburial only when a campaign on decommunization and desovietization is stopped in the post-Soviet territory. And afterwards, when we pose this question, we should base only on religious, not political grounds," first deputy chairman of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media relations, PhD Alexander Shchipkov writes in his article posted in Russian by Interfax-Religion.
Earlier, the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia on occasion of the hundredth anniversary of the revolution urged to liberate cities and towns from monuments to Lenin and to rid the center of Moscow of his body. According to the ROCOR, liberation of Red Square of "the remains of the main persecutor and executioner of the 20th century and the destruction of monuments to him" will become a symbol of "reconciliation of Russian people with the Lord."
The Moscow Patriarchate does not share such an opinion. "We see that our close neighbors use the theme of decommunization for the sake of derussification. Should we bring grist to this ideological mill? Certainly, no," Shchipkov writes.
He believes it is necessary to accept "a temporal moratorium on any war against political symbols in Russia, no matter what origin they have."
"It certainly does not mean that we should not return original Russian names to streets and cities. It should be done, but only out of historical, not political grounds. We should not get involved in political campaigns connected with political symbols. It is extremely destructive affair," the church official said.
For the same reason he believes it untimely to raise a question on reburial of Lenin's body "on clearly political motives."
According to the synodal department official, it is necessary to understand that both sides are responsible for fratricidal civil war, as a part of Russian people supported each of the sides.
"Our task is to overcome the schism, to unite people. We will not be able to achieve this aim recognizing that only one side of the civil war was right. It is possible to finish this war in people's hearts and minds only when we stop searching for the winners and will understand that the both sides historically lost the battle," Shchipkov stressed.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
- Lenin's reburial "not on the agenda" - Putin spokesman 12 December 2012, 10:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion seeks legal assessment of Lenin's speeches 08 November 2012, 13:37
- Communists firmly oppose Lenin's reburial – Zyuganov 27 August 2012, 17:18
- Nationalists, Orthodox activists will demand Lenin's burial at courts, Prosecutor's Office 19 July 2012, 11:34
- Woman prays to spirits to protect Russia from doomsday on Moscow Red Square 28 June 2012, 12:07
- Zyuganov compares Lenin's mausoleum to Qaaba, the Wailing Wall and the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 21 June 2012, 14:50
- Church official offers to check Lenin's works for extremism 02 April 2012, 10:00
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin regrets Orthodox believers failed to exterminate Bolsheviks 22 March 2012, 11:04
- Russian Church calls for condemnation of Stalin, Lenin crimes 25 July 2011, 15:40
- Head of Synodal Department proposes to hold subbotnik to "clean" Russia from Lenin's monuments 11 May 2011, 15:27
- Russian Orthodox Church urges political and legal treatment of crimes committed by Bolsheviks 18 April 2011, 13:24
- Lenin should not trample on the Orthodox sanctity, the House of Romanov believes 05 March 2011, 13:37
- Gorbachev: Lenin must be buried with honors 21 February 2011, 14:54
- Muslims suggest transferring Lenin's body to Communist Party's balance 24 January 2011, 13:37
- United Russia MP considers concerts on Vasilyevsky Slope satanic 20 January 2011, 17:53
- Russian people to decide on Lenin's burial in due time - Putin 07 September 2010, 10:01
- Requiem for victims of civil war and revolution 1917 fist held in Moscow on National Unity Day 05 November 2009, 13:39
- Orthodox activists announce contest for church project to replace Lenin's Mausoleum 17 July 2009, 16:51
- Political leader, actors, rockers and gonfalonieres to "exile" Lenin from Mausoleum on his birthday 21 April 2009, 13:08
- Vandalism is not a way to settle disputes over monuments to Lenin, the Russian Church believes 10 April 2009, 15:52
- Lenin's tomb may be relocated when new generations come - Kozhin 09 April 2009, 13:14
- Blown up monuments to Lenin is fight against Bolsheviks with their own losing ways, the Russian Church believes 06 April 2009, 15:30
- Lenin’s body shouldn’t remain on Red Square, the Moscow Patriarchate believes 21 January 2009, 12:52
- Only 15% believe that Lenin stays in mausoleum by right, while two thirds of citizens suggest burying him - poll 21 January 2009, 11:13
- Russian communists oppose Lenin's reburial 07 June 2008, 10:14