06 November 2009
Topic of the day
The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Representative of the Moscow Patriarchate calls extremely untimely the idea to bury Lenin's body and urges to introduce a moratorium on a war against political symbols in Russia.
"We understand that his presence on Red Square has nothing to do with Christian traditions. But we can raise a question about reburial only when a campaign on decommunization and desovietization is stopped in the post-Soviet territory. And afterwards, when we pose this question, we should base only on religious, not political grounds," first deputy chairman of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media relations, PhD Alexander Shchipkov writes in his article posted in Russian by Interfax-Religion.
Earlier, the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia on occasion of the hundredth anniversary of the revolution urged to liberate cities and towns from monuments to Lenin and to rid the center of Moscow of his body. According to the ROCOR, liberation of Red Square of "the remains of the main persecutor and executioner of the 20th century and the destruction of monuments to him" will become a symbol of "reconciliation of Russian people with the Lord."
The Moscow Patriarchate does not share such an opinion. "We see that our close neighbors use the theme of decommunization for the sake of derussification. Should we bring grist to this ideological mill? Certainly, no," Shchipkov writes.
He believes it is necessary to accept "a temporal moratorium on any war against political symbols in Russia, no matter what origin they have."
"It certainly does not mean that we should not return original Russian names to streets and cities. It should be done, but only out of historical, not political grounds. We should not get involved in political campaigns connected with political symbols. It is extremely destructive affair," the church official said.
For the same reason he believes it untimely to raise a question on reburial of Lenin's body "on clearly political motives."
According to the synodal department official, it is necessary to understand that both sides are responsible for fratricidal civil war, as a part of Russian people supported each of the sides.
"Our task is to overcome the schism, to unite people. We will not be able to achieve this aim recognizing that only one side of the civil war was right. It is possible to finish this war in people's hearts and minds only when we stop searching for the winners and will understand that the both sides historically lost the battle," Shchipkov stressed.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- 20,000 priests were executed during first two years after the October Revolution, hundred of 60,000 churches still worked in 1920 25 January 2017, 18:12
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls against understating achievements of Soviet administration, troubles that hit country 22 December 2016, 18:46
- Russian Church has built and restored only half of churches existed before revolution 14 December 2016, 18:55
- On the 100th anniversary of the Revolution the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will commemorate its victims 12 December 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church advises Lenin advocates think about burying him 29 October 2013, 16:23
- Lenin's reburial "not on the agenda" - Putin spokesman 12 December 2012, 10:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion seeks legal assessment of Lenin's speeches 08 November 2012, 13:37
- Communists firmly oppose Lenin's reburial – Zyuganov 27 August 2012, 17:18
- Nationalists, Orthodox activists will demand Lenin's burial at courts, Prosecutor's Office 19 July 2012, 11:34
- Woman prays to spirits to protect Russia from doomsday on Moscow Red Square 28 June 2012, 12:07
- Zyuganov compares Lenin's mausoleum to Qaaba, the Wailing Wall and the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 21 June 2012, 14:50
- Church official offers to check Lenin's works for extremism 02 April 2012, 10:00
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin regrets Orthodox believers failed to exterminate Bolsheviks 22 March 2012, 11:04
- Russian Church calls for condemnation of Stalin, Lenin crimes 25 July 2011, 15:40
- Head of Synodal Department proposes to hold subbotnik to "clean" Russia from Lenin's monuments 11 May 2011, 15:27