02 March 2018
Topic of the day
Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM
Moscow, March 1, Interfax - Russia is seriously concerned about Christians' situation in the Middle East, especially in Syria and Iraq, Russia's Special Presidential Representative for the Middle East and Africa and Deputy Foreign Minister, Mikhail Bogdanov, said on Thursday.
"The tragic situation in which Middle Eastern Christians have ended up causes serious concern in Russia," Bogdanov said at a conference hosted by the Imperial Palestinian Orthodox Society.
"The most complicated situation is seen in Syria and Iraq, where terrorists killed and ousted tens of thousands of Christians from their native land in the years of war," Bogdanov said.
"The situation of Christian communities in Egypt, where the Coptic Orthodox Church is being persecuted by Islamic fundamentalists, has dramatically worsened," Bogdanov said.
Despite the fact that a substantial part of the Iraqi territory where Christians have historically lived has been liberated from terrorists, "the situation is still unstable" in that country, he said.
At the same time, successful actions undertaken by the Syrian governmental forces and backed by Russia promoted efforts to create conditions for the return of local Christians.
"Thanks to successful actions carried out by the Syrian governmental forces and supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces, and after the de-escalation areas were set up in Syria at Russia's initiative, conditions were created for the return of Christian residents to their places of permanent residence and inter-social ties were established," the Russian deputy foreign minister said.
"We are continuing efforts to protect the interests of Christian residents in Middle Eastern regions at various international venues, including the UN Human Rights Council, the OSCE, and as part of other multilateral human rights mechanisms," Bogdanov said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
- Islamic countries should be key members of broad anti-ISIL coalition - Lavrov (updated) 13 October 2015, 16:33
- Islamists detained in central Moscow were trained in ISIL, planned terrorist attack in public transport - FSB (updated) 12 October 2015, 16:26
- Russia does not want to get involved in Syria's interreligious conflicts - Putin 12 October 2015, 10:00
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- ISIL distorts, compromises Islam – Putin 23 September 2015, 12:58
- Some 2,400 Russians fighting for ISIL - FSB 18 September 2015, 11:31
- Russia's Muslims support fight against terrorism in Syria - Mufti Gainutdin 18 September 2015, 10:51
- Uzbek court gives ISIS supporters lengthy prison sentences 17 September 2015, 20:45
- True Muslims strong enough to stop ISIL, which 'is stretching its bloody hand' to Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem - Kadyrov 16 September 2015, 16:34
- Putin: We are worried about possible return of Russian ISIL fighters to Russia 15 September 2015, 12:01
- Russian Investigative Committee probing info on attempts to recruit Russians to ISIL 09 September 2015, 10:00
- ISIL recruits IT specialists, doctors, engineers in Uzbekistan 04 September 2015, 10:18