02 March 2018
Topic of the day
Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM
Moscow, March 1, Interfax - Russia is seriously concerned about Christians' situation in the Middle East, especially in Syria and Iraq, Russia's Special Presidential Representative for the Middle East and Africa and Deputy Foreign Minister, Mikhail Bogdanov, said on Thursday.
"The tragic situation in which Middle Eastern Christians have ended up causes serious concern in Russia," Bogdanov said at a conference hosted by the Imperial Palestinian Orthodox Society.
"The most complicated situation is seen in Syria and Iraq, where terrorists killed and ousted tens of thousands of Christians from their native land in the years of war," Bogdanov said.
"The situation of Christian communities in Egypt, where the Coptic Orthodox Church is being persecuted by Islamic fundamentalists, has dramatically worsened," Bogdanov said.
Despite the fact that a substantial part of the Iraqi territory where Christians have historically lived has been liberated from terrorists, "the situation is still unstable" in that country, he said.
At the same time, successful actions undertaken by the Syrian governmental forces and backed by Russia promoted efforts to create conditions for the return of local Christians.
"Thanks to successful actions carried out by the Syrian governmental forces and supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces, and after the de-escalation areas were set up in Syria at Russia's initiative, conditions were created for the return of Christian residents to their places of permanent residence and inter-social ties were established," the Russian deputy foreign minister said.
"We are continuing efforts to protect the interests of Christian residents in Middle Eastern regions at various international venues, including the UN Human Rights Council, the OSCE, and as part of other multilateral human rights mechanisms," Bogdanov said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful outcome of Arab revolutions 15 November 2011, 13:33
- Assad regime will not survive - Muslim scholar 15 November 2011, 10:02
- Islamization of Tunisia, Egypt possible - Margelov 15 November 2011, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill links religious extremism to poor knowledge of religion 14 November 2011, 13:31
- Patriarch Kirill concerns about increasing Christianophobia in some Arab countries 14 November 2011, 12:26
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Lebanon 14 November 2011, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Syria will strengthen ties with Russia - al-Assad 14 November 2011, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill plans to meet with Syrian president (updated) 11 November 2011, 14:24
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Syria, Lebanon 11 November 2011, 12:28
- Political scientist predicts blossom of radical Islam and civil war in Libya 26 October 2011, 10:46
- Gaddafi's Russian daughter-in-law tells how she adopted Islam and was beaten up 26 October 2011, 10:19
- Patriarch Kirill worried that events in Arab world are perceived as Christian-Muslim conflict 11 October 2011, 18:12
- Russian Islamologist doesn't exclude reign of Sunnite monarchies in the Middle East 06 October 2011, 16:38
- NATO uses Islamists to turn over Gaddafi - expert 21 September 2011, 14:43
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Syria, Lebanon may be postponed 09 September 2011, 14:05
- Kremlin's Africa envoy alarmed by Nigerian islamists` influence on volatile Arab states 29 August 2011, 10:25
- Arab world doesn't go to new stage of development with Islamic flags, Primakov believes 28 July 2011, 11:54
- OIC wants Syria to start national dialogue, political settlement 28 June 2011, 12:19
- No tourist dress code to be introduced in Egypt 26 May 2011, 15:09
- Egypt contemplates dress code for tourists 25 May 2011, 12:29
- Russia's chief rabbi condemns Christian pogroms in Africa, Middle East 12 May 2011, 12:23
- Russian Patriarch prays violence ends against Christians in Egypt 10 May 2011, 11:57
- Russian Orthodox Church fears Islamists' arrival in Arab world 05 April 2011, 18:16
- Netanyahu fears radical Islamic regimes in Mideast, North Africa 25 March 2011, 14:11
- Head of Mufti Council backs up military operation against Gaddafi 23 March 2011, 14:52