18 April 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - The leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and Christian leaders of the Middle East have called on world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations.
"Our world has reached a point where there is a real danger of a breakdown in international relations and cooperation for the common good of the human family," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, said in quoting a statement agreed upon between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis and supported by the primates of a number of Christian Churches of the Middle East.
"Clearly, the horrors of the world wars of the last century can hardly be compared with the dire consequences of a world war at the present time," the statement says.
The telephone conversation between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis took place the morning after the U.S.-led coalition struck Syria.
"In the face of this terrible threat, we appeal to all world leaders to recognize their responsibility before their respective nations, before mankind, and before God," the statement says.
"Together we call upon the political leaders to avoid a further escalation of tensions, to eschew confrontation, and to embrace dialogue," it says.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Patriarch Kirill, head of Antioch Church to discuss protection of Christians in Middle East 24 January 2014, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Geneva II participants to stop war in Syria, release hostages 21 January 2014, 15:50
- War crimes committed in Syria by both parties, most violent ones by Jihadists – Lavrov 21 January 2014, 15:38
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society asks UN to defend Syrian Christians 26 December 2013, 16:29
- Moscow condemns Baghdad church bombing 26 December 2013, 10:38
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- Over sixty churches, monasteries destroyed in Syria 25 November 2013, 10:05
- Two militants from Russia capture Syrian village to set up a "caliphate" 29 October 2013, 10:24
- Abducted Syrian metropolitans are alive - supreme mufti of Syria 29 October 2013, 10:00
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to send 10 tonnes of baby food to Syria 28 October 2013, 10:11
- Over 3,000 natives of Russia and other CIS states fight on opposition's side in Syria – mufti 25 October 2013, 13:01
- Islamists may lose power in Tunisia after Egypt - Russian senator 24 October 2013, 13:43
- Kazakh security services deny that 150 members of one family fighting in Syria 22 October 2013, 17:03
- Moscow concerned about armed attacks on Coptic Christians near Cairo 22 October 2013, 10:00
- Radical Islamists came to power in Lybia, the country's tribal association official says 17 October 2013, 15:56
- Statue of Christ installed on top of mountain in Syria 17 October 2013, 15:04
- Syrian Christians' citizenship application confirms Russia's high authority in Middle East - Moscow Patriarchate 17 October 2013, 10:07
- 50 000 Syrian Christians ask for Russian citizenship 16 October 2013, 17:54
- Russia gives a worthy model of developing Islam, Mufti Tajuddin believes 15 October 2013, 15:11
- Syria political process delays give chance to radical Islam supporters - Russian foreign minister 11 October 2013, 10:03
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society sends humanitarian aid to Damascus damaged by militants 11 October 2013, 10:01
- Russian Church hopes Syrian Christian clerics abducted in April are alive 10 October 2013, 16:48