02 March 2018
Topic of the day
Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM
Moscow, March 1, Interfax - Russia is seriously concerned about Christians' situation in the Middle East, especially in Syria and Iraq, Russia's Special Presidential Representative for the Middle East and Africa and Deputy Foreign Minister, Mikhail Bogdanov, said on Thursday.
"The tragic situation in which Middle Eastern Christians have ended up causes serious concern in Russia," Bogdanov said at a conference hosted by the Imperial Palestinian Orthodox Society.
"The most complicated situation is seen in Syria and Iraq, where terrorists killed and ousted tens of thousands of Christians from their native land in the years of war," Bogdanov said.
"The situation of Christian communities in Egypt, where the Coptic Orthodox Church is being persecuted by Islamic fundamentalists, has dramatically worsened," Bogdanov said.
Despite the fact that a substantial part of the Iraqi territory where Christians have historically lived has been liberated from terrorists, "the situation is still unstable" in that country, he said.
At the same time, successful actions undertaken by the Syrian governmental forces and backed by Russia promoted efforts to create conditions for the return of local Christians.
"Thanks to successful actions carried out by the Syrian governmental forces and supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces, and after the de-escalation areas were set up in Syria at Russia's initiative, conditions were created for the return of Christian residents to their places of permanent residence and inter-social ties were established," the Russian deputy foreign minister said.
"We are continuing efforts to protect the interests of Christian residents in Middle Eastern regions at various international venues, including the UN Human Rights Council, the OSCE, and as part of other multilateral human rights mechanisms," Bogdanov said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
- Over 60 churches destroyed in Syria, thousands of Christians become refugees - Russian MP 03 June 2014, 15:11
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- West arms Islamists fighting in Syria - Kadyrov 01 April 2014, 10:34
- 98 churches, 1900 mosques destroyed in Syria – Syrian Ambassador 26 March 2014, 12:13
- Over 500 Muslim Brotherhood members sentenced to death in Egypt 24 March 2014, 12:39
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Extremists have no place in Syrian political processes - Russian and Antioch church leaders 30 January 2014, 18:05
- Lavrov calls claims on Syrian govt's using Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant to promote terrorism "unscrupulous" 29 January 2014, 15:44
- Christian exodus from Syria will become a civilization disaster for the whole Middle East - Matviyenko 29 January 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill, head of Antioch Church to discuss protection of Christians in Middle East 24 January 2014, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Geneva II participants to stop war in Syria, release hostages 21 January 2014, 15:50
- War crimes committed in Syria by both parties, most violent ones by Jihadists – Lavrov 21 January 2014, 15:38
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society asks UN to defend Syrian Christians 26 December 2013, 16:29
- Moscow condemns Baghdad church bombing 26 December 2013, 10:38
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- Over sixty churches, monasteries destroyed in Syria 25 November 2013, 10:05
- Two militants from Russia capture Syrian village to set up a "caliphate" 29 October 2013, 10:24
- Abducted Syrian metropolitans are alive - supreme mufti of Syria 29 October 2013, 10:00
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to send 10 tonnes of baby food to Syria 28 October 2013, 10:11
- Over 3,000 natives of Russia and other CIS states fight on opposition's side in Syria – mufti 25 October 2013, 13:01
- Islamists may lose power in Tunisia after Egypt - Russian senator 24 October 2013, 13:43