18 April 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - The leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and Christian leaders of the Middle East have called on world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations.
"Our world has reached a point where there is a real danger of a breakdown in international relations and cooperation for the common good of the human family," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, said in quoting a statement agreed upon between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis and supported by the primates of a number of Christian Churches of the Middle East.
"Clearly, the horrors of the world wars of the last century can hardly be compared with the dire consequences of a world war at the present time," the statement says.
The telephone conversation between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis took place the morning after the U.S.-led coalition struck Syria.
"In the face of this terrible threat, we appeal to all world leaders to recognize their responsibility before their respective nations, before mankind, and before God," the statement says.
"Together we call upon the political leaders to avoid a further escalation of tensions, to eschew confrontation, and to embrace dialogue," it says.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Establishing of Islamic Caliphate in Iraq threatens Russia 08 August 2014, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill presents toys to Syrian children 01 August 2014, 16:46
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Stepashin wishes Assad "swift victory over forces of evil" 06 June 2014, 10:05
- Over 60 churches destroyed in Syria, thousands of Christians become refugees - Russian MP 03 June 2014, 15:11
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- West arms Islamists fighting in Syria - Kadyrov 01 April 2014, 10:34
- 98 churches, 1900 mosques destroyed in Syria – Syrian Ambassador 26 March 2014, 12:13
- Over 500 Muslim Brotherhood members sentenced to death in Egypt 24 March 2014, 12:39
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Extremists have no place in Syrian political processes - Russian and Antioch church leaders 30 January 2014, 18:05
- Lavrov calls claims on Syrian govt's using Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant to promote terrorism "unscrupulous" 29 January 2014, 15:44
- Christian exodus from Syria will become a civilization disaster for the whole Middle East - Matviyenko 29 January 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill, head of Antioch Church to discuss protection of Christians in Middle East 24 January 2014, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Geneva II participants to stop war in Syria, release hostages 21 January 2014, 15:50
- War crimes committed in Syria by both parties, most violent ones by Jihadists – Lavrov 21 January 2014, 15:38
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society asks UN to defend Syrian Christians 26 December 2013, 16:29