02 March 2018
Topic of the day
Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM
Moscow, March 1, Interfax - Russia is seriously concerned about Christians' situation in the Middle East, especially in Syria and Iraq, Russia's Special Presidential Representative for the Middle East and Africa and Deputy Foreign Minister, Mikhail Bogdanov, said on Thursday.
"The tragic situation in which Middle Eastern Christians have ended up causes serious concern in Russia," Bogdanov said at a conference hosted by the Imperial Palestinian Orthodox Society.
"The most complicated situation is seen in Syria and Iraq, where terrorists killed and ousted tens of thousands of Christians from their native land in the years of war," Bogdanov said.
"The situation of Christian communities in Egypt, where the Coptic Orthodox Church is being persecuted by Islamic fundamentalists, has dramatically worsened," Bogdanov said.
Despite the fact that a substantial part of the Iraqi territory where Christians have historically lived has been liberated from terrorists, "the situation is still unstable" in that country, he said.
At the same time, successful actions undertaken by the Syrian governmental forces and backed by Russia promoted efforts to create conditions for the return of local Christians.
"Thanks to successful actions carried out by the Syrian governmental forces and supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces, and after the de-escalation areas were set up in Syria at Russia's initiative, conditions were created for the return of Christian residents to their places of permanent residence and inter-social ties were established," the Russian deputy foreign minister said.
"We are continuing efforts to protect the interests of Christian residents in Middle Eastern regions at various international venues, including the UN Human Rights Council, the OSCE, and as part of other multilateral human rights mechanisms," Bogdanov said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Syrian conflict a menace for Christian population in Middle East - Russian diplomat 11 November 2014, 18:10
- Events in Middle East leading to catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 05 November 2014, 10:03
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Establishing of Islamic Caliphate in Iraq threatens Russia 08 August 2014, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill presents toys to Syrian children 01 August 2014, 16:46
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Stepashin wishes Assad "swift victory over forces of evil" 06 June 2014, 10:05