13 October 2020
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh
Moscow, October 13, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia issued a statement on Tuesday calling for extending the ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh.
"I attach great importance to the agreements reached through the mediation of Russia at the level of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan and Armenia. I call upon the state leadership of both countries to use the ceasefire in order to switch solution seeking to the political track. For the sake of the future of the two neighboring peoples, I urge to extend the ceasefire and use it for peaceful negotiations," the patriarch's statement published on the Russian Orthodox Church's official website says.
The patriarch appealed to all of the conflicting parties to spare each other's lives. "May the chronometer of the bloody feud stop in the name of peaceful future. Armenia and Azerbaijan historically were and will be neighbors; in any event, the Azerbaijani and the Armenians will be living side by side," he said.
"A bad peace is better than a good quarrel: this old truth is relevant today more than ever. When there is peace, people can meet, communicate, and seek solutions to problems. But when there is a war and human blood is being shed and crimes are being committed, then it is difficult to reach joint political decisions," he said.
Patriarch Kirill personally addressed the religious leaders of the Armenians and the Azerbaijanis, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians and Chairman of the Caucasus Muslims Board, Sheikh ul-Islam Allahshukur Pashazade.
"Dear brothers, together we have come a long way, exerting efforts so that this confrontation may not turn into an interfaith conflict, so that the problems may be resolved by peaceful means. Today each of us and all we together must do all we can to stop the bloodshed," the patriarch said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 |
- Fifty Turkish professors suspected of links with Gulen ousted from Azerbaijani university 17 August 2016, 12:43
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Azerbaijani President Aliyev accuses Armenia of adding religious tint to Karabakh conflict 08 June 2016, 15:44
- Baku court convicts man in case dealing with clashes between police, Muslim worshippers 30 May 2016, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill ready to help resolve Karabakh conflict 06 April 2016, 10:39
- Catholicos of all Armenians urge people to oppose Azerbaijanian attacks 04 April 2016, 13:46
- Islamic rituals can only be performed by Azeris in Azerbaijan 07 December 2015, 10:19
- Azeri police given power to use firearms, physical force against religious extremists 07 December 2015, 10:13
- Azerbaijani parliament votes to deprive terrorists, religious extremists of citizenship 04 December 2015, 14:55
- Iran has nothing to do with Nardaran Islamic clashes - embassy in Baku 01 December 2015, 15:44
- Azeri police detain six supporters of Muslim Unity movement after its leader's arrest triggered clashes in Nardaran 01 December 2015, 15:21
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- Mosque may be closed in Azerbaijan for violations of laws 28 January 2014, 14:42
- Directorate of Caucasus Muslims condemn Azeris participating in military conflicts abroad 28 January 2014, 13:42
- Spiritual leaders of Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan may issue statement on Karabakh in Yerevan 28 November 2011, 13:13
- Azerbaijani president meets Armenian patriarch 27 April 2010, 11:26
- Karekin II invites leader of Azerbaijani Muslims to Armenia (updated) 26 April 2010, 17:56
- Spiritual leader of Caucasus Muslims calls on religious leaders to unite on counter-terrorism 26 April 2010, 15:43
- Spiritual leaders of Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Russia support efforts of secular authorities on Karabakh settlement 26 April 2010, 15:30
- Patriarch Kirill told how Uzbek police officer gave him a lesson of tolerance 26 April 2010, 14:50
- Patriarch Kirill, Allahshukur Pasha-zade, Karekin II discuss Karabakh 26 April 2010, 14:31
- Patriarch Kirill: interreligious dialogue can effectively solve acute modern-day problems 26 April 2010, 13:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges not to violate human rights and freedoms 26 April 2010, 13:04