02 April 2021
Topic of the day
Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque
Moscow, April 2, Interfax - A man who supposedly supports Ukrainian nationalists and was detained in the Russian city of Barnaul on suspicion of plotting "actions of intimidation" has said he was seeking to blow up a local mosque.
"I wanted to choose a target and blow up the Barnaul mosque," the man said in a video of his interrogation published by the Federal Security Service (FSB).
The suspect said he had received assignments from Ukrainian nationalists.
"The first assignment was to take pictures and conduct onsite reconnaissance. The next assignment was to destroy a facility, and I could choose the method myself, like, for instance, arson or explosive demolition," he said.
The FSB said earlier on Friday that a young man who was preparing actions to intimidate foreigners and bodies of state authority with support from Ukrainian nationalists had been detained in Barnaul.
The detention was made in connection with a case based on actions outlined in an article of the Russian Criminal Code dealing with receiving training for carrying out terrorist activities.
"The Ethnic National Association was created to coordinate actions by nationalists of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia during 'direct actions' against people of non-Slavic appearance and bodies of state authority," the FSB said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
- Mufti Gainutdin urges Muslims not to join rallies able to harm social unity 10 January 2014, 10:16
- Ethnic conflicts should not lead to rioting - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2014, 16:31
- Migration issues contribute to rise of xenophobia, religious hatred, ethnic crime in Russia – concept 20 November 2013, 15:21
- Bishop: ethnic Russians discriminated against in south Russia 31 October 2013, 19:31
- Patriarch Kirill: Biryulyovo events demonstrate Russia's at critical point (updated) 31 October 2013, 19:25
- Ivanov: Russia doesn't accept absurd degree of Western political correctness, multiculturalism 31 October 2013, 14:36
- Rostov imam suspected of inciting religious hatred 25 October 2013, 12:44
- North Caucasus Muslims backs idea of creating committee on nationalities 18 October 2013, 17:16
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for solution of vital social problems 18 October 2013, 15:30
- Court arrests nationalist suspected of organizing provocations in St. Pete during Kurban Bayram 18 October 2013, 10:13
- Police must restore order on markets with volunteers' assistance - Russian Church 15 October 2013, 15:17
- Mufti Gainutdin shares Muscovites annoyance with migrants' behavior 15 October 2013, 15:09
- Biryulyovo unrest must prompt govt to think more about citizens' security - Jewish Communities Federation 14 October 2013, 17:59
- Russian Mufti Council urges Muslims to resist provocation over events in Biryulyovo 14 October 2013, 17:55
- Russian Orthodox Church urges fighting shadow economy created by migrants, corrupted officials over Biryulyovo events 14 October 2013, 16:38
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for punishment for man who killed Biryulyovo resident 14 October 2013, 12:04
- The Russian Church official offers rough punishment for provoking behavior in public places 19 September 2013, 15:10
- Russian society concerned about unpleasant consequences of migration increase - Patriarch Kirill 22 April 2013, 10:01
- Russian society will not be split ethnically, religiously - Putin 28 August 2012, 18:36
- No ethnic, religious hatred behind Kislovodsk mass brawl - investigators 24 July 2012, 10:51
- Russian Church hopes Council for Ethnic Relations to respond to most complex incidents 08 June 2012, 16:23
- Attitude to immigration in Russia differs depending on religion - survey 01 June 2012, 11:23
- Mekhtiyev killing is ethnic killing - colleagues, friends 11 April 2012, 12:26
- Prominent Muslim public figure killed in Moscow 11 April 2012, 10:57
- Jewish group complains nationalism more "acceptable" in Russia 14 February 2012, 10:07