02 April 2021
Topic of the day
Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque
Moscow, April 2, Interfax - A man who supposedly supports Ukrainian nationalists and was detained in the Russian city of Barnaul on suspicion of plotting "actions of intimidation" has said he was seeking to blow up a local mosque.
"I wanted to choose a target and blow up the Barnaul mosque," the man said in a video of his interrogation published by the Federal Security Service (FSB).
The suspect said he had received assignments from Ukrainian nationalists.
"The first assignment was to take pictures and conduct onsite reconnaissance. The next assignment was to destroy a facility, and I could choose the method myself, like, for instance, arson or explosive demolition," he said.
The FSB said earlier on Friday that a young man who was preparing actions to intimidate foreigners and bodies of state authority with support from Ukrainian nationalists had been detained in Barnaul.
The detention was made in connection with a case based on actions outlined in an article of the Russian Criminal Code dealing with receiving training for carrying out terrorist activities.
"The Ethnic National Association was created to coordinate actions by nationalists of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia during 'direct actions' against people of non-Slavic appearance and bodies of state authority," the FSB said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow religious organizations have weak influence on local migrants - mufti 10 November 2020, 10:21
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- West unlike Russia lacks mutual respect, chief rabbi of Russia believes 27 October 2017, 16:56
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- No conflicts between Orthodox Christians, Muslims happened in Kyrgyzstan in past 150 years - bishop 30 May 2017, 10:57
- Kyrgyz president promises to help build new Orthodox churches in republic 29 May 2017, 12:20
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Kyrgyz mufti for kind attitude towards Orthodox believers 29 May 2017, 10:19
- Interreligious dialogue in Russia is example of common understanding of threats to traditional values - Patriarch Kirill 26 January 2017, 14:05
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Russia to counter efforts of incitement of inter-ethnic, inter-faith hatred - Putin 31 October 2016, 18:16
- Russia's advantage over West is common moral standings of Orthodox Christians, Muslims 22 July 2016, 10:00
- Tatarstan is responsible for ethnic relations to all Russia - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2016, 15:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Tatarstan's Orthodox Christians, Muslims to live in good peace 20 July 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill believes EU's immigration policy erroneous 16 February 2016, 13:38
- West should learn from Russia to accept Muslim refugees - Patriarch Kirill 24 September 2015, 17:28
- Moscow mufti speaking at the OSCE platform disproves rumors about Muslims oppressed in Russia 03 October 2014, 10:08
- Russia creates system to monitor inter-ethnic, inter-confessional relations 16 July 2014, 12:35
- Russian Church to publish Bible for labor migrants 05 June 2014, 13:26
- Russian Congress of Peoples of Caucasus against rally 'against Islamophobia' in Moscow (updated) 16 January 2014, 12:31
- Authorities ban anti-Islamophobia rally in central Moscow 14 January 2014, 10:02