17 July 2019
Topic of the day
The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism
Moscow, July 17, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate's delegation that is going to visit Kiev on the Feast of Russia's Baptism on July 28, can be disappointed by the things they see there, the Russian Orthodox Church official warns.
"It is announced that guests from the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Kiev, but there can be inconvenient situation of comparing the number at the two processions with cross", deputy head of the Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov said at a Wednesday press conference in Moscow.
He explained that he meant a festival procession with cross of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church held on the eve of the feast on July 27, and a march from St. Vladimir Cathedral to the St. Vladimir Hill of "the so-called Orthodox church of Ukraine" set up last year and supported by Constantinople and Ukrainian authorities. Last year the canonical Orthodox Church gathered 250,000 believers at its processions with cross, while the march of the non-canonical church attracted only several thousands of people.
"It is not clear how it will turn out to be this year. The thing is that St. Vladimir Cathedral is administered by so-called honorable patriarch Filaret, who, as we know, is not satisfied with "this honorable role" and restored "the Kiev Patriarchate," Father Nikolay said. "It is difficult to say with whom Constantinople officials will be in this situation and where a liturgy of the newly-established church will take place."
He is also perplexed with intentions of the Constantinople Patriarchate to bring a particle of St. Andrew's relics to Kiev celebrations.
"Perhaps, Constantinople does not know: there is a particle of St. Andrew's relics in the Kiev Lavra of the Caves and also in Odessa in our canonical Ukrainian Church," the priest said supposing that bringing of the relics was organized "to somehow settle the problem of evident dominance in number of the canonical Church believers over believers of the artificially set up from schismatics."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |
- Moscow Synod calls unification assembly in Kiev non-canonical, expresses concerns about plans to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 December 2018, 17:39
- Georgian patriarch hopes for restoration of brotherly ties between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople Patriarchate 28 December 2018, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill doubts Patriarch Bartholonew's "sound mind" 27 December 2018, 19:17
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Patriarch Bartholomew of fulfilling U.S. order in Ukraine 27 December 2018, 14:58
- Law on renaming UOC takes effect 27 December 2018, 14:34
- Change of Ukrainian Orthodox Church's name fraught with 'bloody conflicts' - Patriarch Kirill 26 December 2018, 13:44
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares new Ukrainian church to Tower of Babel, which collapsed 25 December 2018, 15:00
- UOC to appeal law on renaming it in Constitutional Court 25 December 2018, 12:43
- Moscow Patriarchate prepared for dialogue with Constantinople but not going to change stance on Ukraine - spokesperson 24 December 2018, 13:02
- Ukrainian state's attempts to be done with canonical Church are doomed - Moscow Patriarchate 24 December 2018, 10:23
- Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill 24 December 2018, 10:22
- Poroshenko signs law renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 December 2018, 10:22
- Belarusian Orthodox Church declares autocephalous Ukrainian church schismatic 21 December 2018, 17:06
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no reason for name change 21 December 2018, 14:05
- Center of Ukrainian Orthodox Church is in Kiev, not in Moscow - Russian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 13:50
- Head of new Ukrainian church meets with U.S. ambassador in Kiev 21 December 2018, 13:16
- Constantinople Patriarchate is accomplice to persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill (updated) 21 December 2018, 12:32
- U.S. secretary of state's phone call to 'chief schismatic of Ukrainian church' is unprecedented - Peskov 21 December 2018, 12:00
- Rada decision to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church nonsense, act of forgery - Russian MP 21 December 2018, 10:59
- Moscow Patriarchate compares the renaming of the UOC with the bandages of Jews under Hitler 21 December 2018, 10:58
- Authorities put in jeopardy existence of large Orthodox confession in Ukraine - head of opposition faction in Rada 21 December 2018, 10:50
- Parliamentary opposition in Rada to continue fighting against renaming of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 10:41
- UOC requests Poroshenko to reject bill on church renaming passed by Verkhovnaya Rada 21 December 2018, 10:39
- Renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church will make believers in Ukraine look for enemies in churches, monasteries - Legoyda 20 December 2018, 18:44
- Main supporter of autocephaly in Ukrainian Orthodox Church says too soon to celebrate creation of new church 20 December 2018, 18:26