17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Ukrainian parliament speaker wants to transfer St. Sophia Cathedral to new church created by Constantinople 03 December 2018, 14:34
- Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly 02 December 2018, 21:15
- Disbanded Constantinople's Russian archdiocese refuses to dissolve immediately 02 December 2018, 21:12
- Bartholomew's actions contributed to Black Sea region instability, undermine Minsk agreement - Russian Orthodox Church 30 November 2018, 20:57
- SBU seizes one book from Kiev Pechersk Lavra vicar during search – reports 30 November 2018, 15:27
- Synod meeting in Istanbul shows Constantinople not going to give Ukraine real autocephaly - Russian Church 30 November 2018, 15:18
- Autocephaly plans stalling over canonical Ukrainian church's firm stance - Russian Сhurch 30 November 2018, 13:00
- Search of Kiev Pechersk Lavra vicar's home meant to force him to take part in unification assembly - Moscow Patriarchate 30 November 2018, 12:25
- SBU searching place of residence of Kiev Lavra vicar 30 November 2018, 12:03
- Autocephaly tomos won't be published until it's given to elected head of local Ukrainian church - Poroshenko's advisor 30 November 2018, 11:52
- Any decisions on autocephalous Ukrainian church made amid martial law will be criminal - UOC-MP 30 November 2018, 11:12
- Russian Orthodox Church believes Constantinople Patriarchate delaying Ukraine church tomos 30 November 2018, 10:50
- Constantinople approves text of tomos for Ukrainian church - Poroshenko 29 November 2018, 22:31
- UOC not against property inventory at Kiev Lavra of the Caves, asks why it's necessary after 30-year absence 29 November 2018, 16:07
- Pochayev Lavra denies allegations of cooperating with Russian intelligence 29 November 2018, 14:03
- Russian Church reminds Constantinople's Russian parishes in Western Europe about the propose of transition to Moscow Patriarchate 28 November 2018, 17:32
- Verkhovnaya Rada speaker promises martial law won't hinder creation of local church 27 November 2018, 17:55
- Patriarch Bartholomew receives Poroshenko's advisor before Constantinople Patriarchate Synod assembly 27 November 2018, 12:50
- Russian Church sends a priest to South Korea because of the break with Constantinople 26 November 2018, 13:17
- Pochayev Lavra to continue using assets on its grounds despite Justice Ministry's decision - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 26 November 2018, 11:44
- Constantinople eyeing dozens of its former properties in Ukraine - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 November 2018, 11:39
- Ukrainian Justice Ministry cancels reregistration of Pochayev Lavra buildings 26 November 2018, 11:35
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church likens promoters of 'autocephaly' to Bolsheviks 23 November 2018, 18:14
- Timoshenko promises liability for denying Ukrainian local church 23 November 2018, 18:00
- Poroshenko's envoy going to Istanbul for Synod meeting on tomos on autocephaly 23 November 2018, 15:05