20 May 2019
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation
Moscow, May 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has offered kind wishes to new Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky.
"We hope that the newly-elected president will not repeat the mistakes of his predecessor and we sincerely wish him successes in uniting and reconciling the Ukrainian people," the patriarch said at an Easter reception at the Russian Foreign Ministry in Moscow on Monday.
He condemned the previous Ukrainian president Pyotr Poroshenko's project in "forced unification of Orthodox believers for the sake of creating a new church with a pronounced Russo-phobic political orientation."
Recent elections showed that "Ukrainian people disapprove of speculation of the religious factor in the political sphere," he said.
Towards the end of the elections the wave of takeovers of canonical churches and illegal closures of religious communities in Ukraine somewhat subsided, which "once again points to the artificiality of this process inspired by the previous government," the patriarch said.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church avoids all kinds of politicization and brings together millions of Ukrainians regardless of their political convictions, and hopefully "its colossal peacemaking potential, underestimated by the previous regime, will be fully employed by the new authorities in Ukraine," Patriarch Kirill said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 |
- Poroshenko invites Patriarch Bartholomew to visit Ukraine 05 January 2019, 17:36
- Tomos is piece of paper without canonical force - Russian Orthodox Church 05 January 2019, 17:29
- Patriarch Bartholomew signs tomos of autocephaly for a new Ukrainian church 05 January 2019, 17:26
- Ukrainian custom authorities seize copies of Patriarch Kirill's Christmas greeting - Moscow Patriarchate 04 January 2019, 21:28
- Constantinople Patriarchate is involved in fight between authorities, Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Metropolitan Onufry 29 December 2018, 19:55
- Russian exarchate disbanded by Constantinople should decide on its fate itself, Russian Orthodox Church to help it if it seeks assistance 29 December 2018, 19:51
- Structures of Russian Orthodox Church to open in all localities that have Constantinople parishes 29 December 2018, 17:53
- Russian Orthodox Church laymen allowed to have communion in St. Panteleimon Monastery on Athos 29 December 2018, 17:49
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod forms patriarch's exarchates in Europe, Asia in response to Constantinople's actions 29 December 2018, 17:43
- Moscow Synod calls unification assembly in Kiev non-canonical, expresses concerns about plans to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 December 2018, 17:39
- Georgian patriarch hopes for restoration of brotherly ties between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople Patriarchate 28 December 2018, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill doubts Patriarch Bartholonew's "sound mind" 27 December 2018, 19:17
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Patriarch Bartholomew of fulfilling U.S. order in Ukraine 27 December 2018, 14:58
- Law on renaming UOC takes effect 27 December 2018, 14:34
- Change of Ukrainian Orthodox Church's name fraught with 'bloody conflicts' - Patriarch Kirill 26 December 2018, 13:44
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares new Ukrainian church to Tower of Babel, which collapsed 25 December 2018, 15:00
- UOC to appeal law on renaming it in Constitutional Court 25 December 2018, 12:43
- Moscow Patriarchate prepared for dialogue with Constantinople but not going to change stance on Ukraine - spokesperson 24 December 2018, 13:02
- Ukrainian state's attempts to be done with canonical Church are doomed - Moscow Patriarchate 24 December 2018, 10:23
- Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill 24 December 2018, 10:22
- Poroshenko signs law renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 December 2018, 10:22
- Belarusian Orthodox Church declares autocephalous Ukrainian church schismatic 21 December 2018, 17:06
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no reason for name change 21 December 2018, 14:05
- Center of Ukrainian Orthodox Church is in Kiev, not in Moscow - Russian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 13:50
- Head of new Ukrainian church meets with U.S. ambassador in Kiev 21 December 2018, 13:16