17 July 2019
Topic of the day
The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism
Moscow, July 17, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate's delegation that is going to visit Kiev on the Feast of Russia's Baptism on July 28, can be disappointed by the things they see there, the Russian Orthodox Church official warns.
"It is announced that guests from the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Kiev, but there can be inconvenient situation of comparing the number at the two processions with cross", deputy head of the Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov said at a Wednesday press conference in Moscow.
He explained that he meant a festival procession with cross of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church held on the eve of the feast on July 27, and a march from St. Vladimir Cathedral to the St. Vladimir Hill of "the so-called Orthodox church of Ukraine" set up last year and supported by Constantinople and Ukrainian authorities. Last year the canonical Orthodox Church gathered 250,000 believers at its processions with cross, while the march of the non-canonical church attracted only several thousands of people.
"It is not clear how it will turn out to be this year. The thing is that St. Vladimir Cathedral is administered by so-called honorable patriarch Filaret, who, as we know, is not satisfied with "this honorable role" and restored "the Kiev Patriarchate," Father Nikolay said. "It is difficult to say with whom Constantinople officials will be in this situation and where a liturgy of the newly-established church will take place."
He is also perplexed with intentions of the Constantinople Patriarchate to bring a particle of St. Andrew's relics to Kiev celebrations.
"Perhaps, Constantinople does not know: there is a particle of St. Andrew's relics in the Kiev Lavra of the Caves and also in Odessa in our canonical Ukrainian Church," the priest said supposing that bringing of the relics was organized "to somehow settle the problem of evident dominance in number of the canonical Church believers over believers of the artificially set up from schismatics."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on Athos not to have communion with Ukraine's new church 11 February 2019, 12:47
- Another 2 Athos monasteries refuse to host bishop of new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:55
- Athos monks moving to Russian monastery in protest against communication with new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:01
- Bishop of Ukraine’s new church was not allowed to Russian monastery on Athos 11 February 2019, 10:58
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court to consider constitutionality of law on changing subordination of religious organizations 11 February 2019, 10:43
- Hierarch of a new Ukraine’s church celebrates his first liturgy on Athos 08 February 2019, 17:48
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop asks U.S. to protect parishioners 06 February 2019, 18:25
- Court sides with Ukrainian Church against defector bishop 06 February 2019, 14:17
- New church supporters attack senior priest, flock of Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ternopol Region 04 February 2019, 13:48
- Yepifaniy hopes new Ukrainian church to be granted patriarchate status 04 February 2019, 11:09
- Poroshenko vows there would be no 'state church' in Ukraine 04 February 2019, 11:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church doubts legality of registration of new Ukrainian church 01 February 2019, 14:25
- Protection of believers' rights in Ukraine depends on Kiev – Peskov 01 February 2019, 13:31
- Putin: Ukraine profiteering, politicking on religious matters 31 January 2019, 19:15
- Russians, Ukrainians to stay united despite current differences between Moscow, Kiev - Patriarch Kirill 31 January 2019, 12:43
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukraine's Orthodox Christians not to give in to temptation 31 January 2019, 12:28
- Russian Orthodox Church says tomos confirms new Ukrainian church's vassalage to Constantinople 30 January 2019, 18:03
- Computer game inspired by conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople may be created in Russia 30 January 2019, 18:00
- Constantinople delegation visits Tbilisi to discuss Ukrainian autocephaly with Georgian patriarch 30 January 2019, 17:58
- Orthodox Church in America refuses to recognize new Ukrainian church 30 January 2019, 17:55
- Georgian Patriarchate calls for keeping unity of Orthodox faith in regard of Ukrainian issue 30 January 2019, 17:43
- Patriarch of Antioch asks Orthodox Churches not to remain silent on Ukrainian schism 29 January 2019, 21:41
- Georgian expecting delegation from Patriarchate of Constantinople to discuss Ukrainian church's autocephaly 29 January 2019, 19:27
- Serbian patriarch compares situation in Ukrainian Orthodoxy to bomb explosion 29 January 2019, 17:23