17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Poroshenko advises radicals against seizing Moscow Patriarchate's churches 19 December 2018, 12:07
- Ukrainian Security Service wants to question Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra's vicar 19 December 2018, 11:32
- Vatican's embassy denies having recognized new Ukrainian church 19 December 2018, 11:27
- Poroshenko Bloc suggests creating working group to draft church bills 18 December 2018, 19:19
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church should be declared branch of Russian Orthodox Church - ex-president Yushchenko 18 December 2018, 19:16
- UOC denies reports that its Synod excommunicates two metropolitans 18 December 2018, 17:30
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc demands Poroshenko declassify text of agreement with Bartholomew 18 December 2018, 12:14
- Ukrainian parliamentary speaker invites Patriarch Bartholomew to speak before Rada 17 December 2018, 19:11
- UOC Synod accuses Constantinople of deepening schism in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 19:09
- UOC Synod bans 2 of its metropolitans who attended unification assembly from religious service 17 December 2018, 19:05
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church declares itself true Сhurch in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 18:46
- Kremlin refrains from intervening in church affairs in Ukraine, sees politics behind schismatic activities - Peskov 17 December 2018, 18:39
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59